Help - no barbell at hotel gym. How do I squat and dead lift

Options
Question to all you experienced heavy lifters out there: I'm staying at a hotel that has a somewhat minimalist gym. I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women, which require me to do barbell squats and deadlifts, but there's no barbell in the gym. I tried to haul dumbbells on my shoulders - let's just say it didn't work out ;-) Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do with free weights or machines to mimic those movements? Thanks!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Is it just temporary for a day or two?
    You could do stiff legged deads with dumbbells.
    And do some type of goblet squats or something with a heavy *kitten* dumbbell.

If it's just for the weekend you can always just leg press and do some back work.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options

If it's just for the weekend you can always just leg press and do some back work.

It's for 6 days, otherwise I wouldn't sweat it...thanks for the tips!!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Well overall one week shouldn't be too bad. I'd just do what you can, then start back where you left off when you're back to your normal gym.
    Gives you a chance to try some new excercises.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Get a one week trial membership at the closest gym for free... ;)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I agree. I also do NROLW and this is exactly what I do when I don't have access to a bar. It's obviously not as heavy but still challenging because I'm doing things a bit different.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

not a bad idea actually.

if not you'd be fine.

you can even do one sided deads depending if they have heavy enough dbs.
    works your obliques and still hits some of the deadlift muscles.
  • KodiakAndrea
    Options
    since it is only temporary, just do body weight squants, find a BIG phone book or use your suitcase on your shoulders if you really must use extra weight.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Question to all you experienced heavy lifters out there: I'm staying at a hotel that has a somewhat minimalist gym. I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women, which require me to do barbell squats and deadlifts, but there's no barbell in the gym. I tried to haul dumbbells on my shoulders - let's just say it didn't work out ;-) Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do with free weights or machines to mimic those movements? Thanks!

There are no replacements for the Barbell Squat or Barbell Deadlift, just not. You can do other exercises just to get the exercise in though.

If you want to work your legs and all you have are dumbells you can try...
    1. Goblet Squats or Dumbell Jump Squats
    2. Lunges or Bulgarian Split Squats
    3. RDL's (somebody else mentioned these too)
    4. Farmer's walk (grab the heaviest pair you can hold and take a walk around the gym)

Then hit hard again when you get back to your gym.

Edit: Bodyweight squats are for therapy and / or warming-up, not a replacement for Back Squats. You'd be better off doing the exercises that I recommended than body weight squats.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

If you want to work your legs and all you have are dumbells you can try...
    1. Lunges or Bulgarian Split Squats
    2. RDL's (somebody else mentioned these too)
    3. Farmer's walk (grab the heaviest pair you can hold and take a walk around the gym)

Then hit hard again when you get back to your gym.

this this this.
    can't believe I forgot farmer's walks. They're awesome and will work the hell out of just about everything.
    My upper back gets hammered when I do these.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Awesome recommendations, everyone. Thanks for sharing your lifting experience with me, it's a new world but an addictive one!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Use the cables for squat and deads. Sometimes they will have a long bar that connects both cable sides
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ This!!!