Over on sugar, fiber, and protein

Options
ocean26
ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
Yesterday after logging, i was -14 over fiber, -35 over sugar, and -68 over protein....! yikes The sugar only came from an apple, protein shake, and 2 nature valley bars. The fiber came from Kashi whole wheat cereal, a whole wheat wrap, and of course the apple too. The protein came from mostly the protein shake, honey turkey, and grilled chicken for dinner. This seems like all healthy foods to me and I'm confused! :huh: Should i worry about it?

Replies

• TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    You always go over in some areas. If you are eating a fair amount of meats already and getting the protein you need (which it seems you were yesterday anyway) I'd cut out the protein shake and have a V8 instead.
  • puppylove84
    puppylove84 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'd cut out the nature valley bars. I'd be more worried about going over sugar than protein and those things are usually packed with sugar and very little nutrients. then again, it depends on your fitness level, too.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    MFP is set kinda low on protein. I go over on it all the time.
    I also would cut out the granola (candy) bars. They aren't as beneficial as they are marketed to be. I found out that my favorite "healthy" cereal (Quaker 100% Natural Granola) actually has more sugar than any of the "sugar-bomb" kid cereals. :angry:
  • ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I find that v8 juices run high in carbs and sugars which is why i like the nutrilite protein shakes... is there an alternative snack that is under 10 carbs and under 10 grams of sugar? And what is a good substitute for the nature valley granola bars?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I really like almonds as a snack. they are my favorite. to avoid going over on sodium, I choose the unsalted ones, also, some that are really good are the cocoa roasted. :heart:

I also like hard boiled eggs as a snack, I don't like the yolks, so I toss those, and the whites only are 17 calories. pure protein and keeps me from feeling hungry for a long time.

fruit is a good snack, ad the sugar that is in it is natural fructose, not refined white sugar. IMHO, better to go over on sugar from milk or fruit than from refined white table sugar, high fructose corn syrup.
    :flowerforyou:
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you like granola bars, I really like the Curves 90 calorie bars! They are so delicious (although small:grumble: ) 17g carbs and 5g sugar. My favorite is the chocolate peanut :love: Sooo yummy!!

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about going over on fiber. It's something your body truly needs to function properly :wink: Getting too LITTLE of it is when you should worry! :laugh:
    :
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    It's probably important to note the the sugar allowance on the site is the maximum recommended for added/refined sugars (8% of your caloric intake) as put forth by the USDA Food Guide Pyramid. The actually is no RDA for sugars (refined or otherwise) at all.

Naturally occuring sugars such as those in fruit should not be included in those allowances.

The Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board suggests, on the basis of analysis, and other evidence-based information, that a maximal intake of 25% of calories from added sugars would ensure that dietary quality could be maintained. Any higher level could result in diets of poorer quality.