Want To Tone Up and Have Definition But not look muscly?!?!

Options
I basically want to tone up my overall body and a bit of definition (some areas are going to need more work than others lol) I currently do 30DS at least 6 times a week plus I do Zumba about twice a week. Also I've been using my weights most evenings to do arm exercises! What I need is advice on what exercises, with the weights, I can do to help tone me up and give me a bit of definition but NOT make me overly muscly/bulky. Also what weight weights should I use and what workouts can help?! Also wanting to lose weight as well. Sorry for the 20 questions! Thanks in advance for any advice. Jen x

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

you won't get bulky or muscly. it takes years of heavy lifting and eating properly to put on significant muscle
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts with as much weight as you can for 5-8 reps, 4-6 sets. Maybe throw in some pull ups and over head presses for good measure.
  • jellymuffin
    Options
    Have you got a body pump class at the gyn you go to? the class is designed to burn fat, and it also defines and tones your body. I did it for the first time today and the instructor said it is one of the best classes for women to tone up and define your body shape and you definately won't bulk up which women actually struggle to do anyway xxx
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I third the heavy lifting. Amazing what it does for the female figure!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and train like a man

Have been lifting like that for 2 years now

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

Not so bulky eh^^

Try Starting Strength to learn how :D
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    then keep your body fat % up and you'll be just fine.

Honestly unless you have some medical issue as long as you're eating at a deficit you shouldn't bulk.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    [facepalm] Sorry to be unassisting. But is March "Nat'l Women Get Freaked Out About Weight Training Month?" I feel like every other post has been either a woman being afraid or a mand telling women not to be afraid. Read books, people. The knowledge you get from them will far surpass the knowledge of MFP "doctors."
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

you won't get bulky or muscly. it takes years of heavy lifting and eating properly to put on significant muscle

This.
    I WISH getting muscly was that easy lol.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I bought a program called Visual Impact for Women. (I have no connection to it.)

http://visualimpactforwomen.com/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

This

and by proper eating for gaining muscle, that means eating at a caloric surplus, if you are losing weight you are in a deficit and have nothing to worry about there.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

<whispers>

What's a compound lift?
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What size weights do you have? I started with 5 pounders and just did everything I could think of-bicep curls, overhead triceps, tricep kickbacks, shoulder raises(front & side), overhead presses, upright rows, flies, etc.. I did at least 20 reps of each exercise. I have increased my weights to 10-15 pounds for most of the exercises now and will do 20 lb. bicep curls (less reps), but I would say that most of my arm definition came from 5-7.5 pound free weights. Off to hide before the heavy lifting police get me. :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

Not so bulky eh^^

Yeah look at your manliness......*drool* you look fantastic lady :flowerforyou:
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." You WILL NOT get "bulky" unless by some rare chance you are genetically predispositioned to (unlikely). There is no such thing as "toning" or "sculpting." Read that book, join the group on MFP, go to the website. Lift heavy! You might not see it on the scale right away, but you will see it when you lose inches!!!! Don't be afraid to lift!

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

Not so bulky eh^^

You're my hero girl! You look fantastic! APPLAUSE!!!!!!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I workout from home, I've been doing overhead lifts also I kinda lean to the sides and raise the other arm holding a weight push. I.e lean to the right then raise my left arm over my head. Heaviest weight I have is 5lbs (probably too light lol) I'm going on holiday in 19 weeks and not aiming to be at goal but want to look good in my bikini!! Would like my mummy tummy to reduced by then and be less wobbly lol x
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Compound movements like squats and pushups. you won't get bulky unless you're eating a bajillion calories everyday!!

DON'T BE AFRAID TO LIFT HEAVY!!!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

^^ This. Ladies that lift heavy look babe-a-licious! That's what my arms and shoulders and legs have to say about it.... still working on that six pack though ;)
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

<whispers>

What's a compound lift?

"Compound exercises are multi-joint movements that rely on the coordinated actions of several muscle groups to move two or more joints through a range of motion." from skinnybulkup.com
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    focus on compound lifts.

Not to mention an pretty healthy dose of testosterone, which is pretty hard for females without "supplementation." Lift heavy and hard and you'll get the muscle you want, but still look like a woman.

PS: If you haven't met my friend, Staci, you really should!
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/