Low calorie foods BUT filling.....HELP!!!

Options
Okay, here's the problem...I'm a newbie so please bear with me.

Before I joined MFP I would eat whenever the mood so took me. Call it what you like, I grazed, picked, pigged out, well just ate for comfort basically. I'm really trying to exercise some self displine but lasting on 1200 calories per day is very challenging.

I'd just be grateful for any tips/advice that you do to make your calories go so much further.

I'm not a fussy eater and love all food. But would love some tips so that my menu is more varied.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily low calorie, but it really helps to keep me satisfied- peanut butter!
  • Fallin_Again
    Options
    Are you eating 6 small meals a day or are you doing 3 larger ones?
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this thread with great interest! Meanwhile - String cheese, almonds (in SMALL quantities), lots & lots of water....
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Reset your goal to 1lb/week and eat the extra 300-400 or so calories that MFP will give you. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet - can you live with 1200 calories/day for the rest of your life? Also, work out and eat the extra calories you get from that.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tofu Shiratake noodles, veggies, chicken breast, greek yogurt, pretzels. There is a lot of things, feel free to add me, my diary is open, at 1200 calories and a rarely feel hungry!
  • kimoates
    kimoates Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat every 2 hrs. or so. I alot of fresh fruit, veggies, yougurt, nuts/ granola. this helps to fight of hunger & keep me from feeling straved all day. Hope this helps.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    And to add to that - make sure you get enough protein and fiber, it will help keep you fuller, longer.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ease into a lower calorie diet. Try to eat 1500 calls first and decrease slowly if you want. You can also eat foods high in fiber (beans, fruit, veggies) to keep you full. Try lean protein as well (greek yogurt, fish, chicken breast, lean red meats). Try eating a big salad (no/little dressing) before every meal. Oh and drink TONS of water. You'll be surprised how full you get if you drink water as you eat.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First off 1200 calories isn't always the magic number for everyone, is 1200 what you put you on or is it what you are suppose to be on?

Low calories aren't always healthy, and high calories aren't always unhealthy. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories a day to survive and not go into starvation mode. Don't be afraid to eat something higher in calories, just be sure it's not empty, with that said, good choices would be raw almonds, pecans, peanut butter for higher calories, but be careful with peanut butter, you can find some that isn't loaded down in sugar and is better for ya. I haven't eaten peanut butter in a while because I refuse to pay the price for it.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    When I'm in a rush with school and clinicals I'll make myself a boca patty. Much lower in fat and calories and really quick easy and yummy! My favorite is the spicy chik'n. I also like to carry around cut up fruit and veggies in a baggie to graze on when I get the munchies.
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    oats are really good for breakfast/dinner with milk.. plenty of fibers in there that'll keep u full longer. carrots are really good too and taste gd. try to work out more as well and eat back whatever calories u burn during ur workout :)
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, Kashi Go Lean, lots of green veggies, egg whites, lean protein, almonds, nut butters, ezekial bread....

1200 is too little (it is for me). The days I don't exercise, I go over MFP's goal of 1210. I'm still losing BF, which is what I want to do, since my weight is actually pretty low to begin with. Eat 5 to 6 meals per day, lots of protein.....

Good luck!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't enough to sustain basic body function - it's just not healthy
    spend some time on fat2fitradio.com calculating your BMR and TDEE and base your goals on MFP from that.
  • jessicamariewoods
    Options
    i'm addicted to fresh raw veggies dipped in soy sauce... sounds weird i know but if you like soy sauce you will like this. it works great with most raw veggies, such as broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, carrots, and bell peppers.

Or instead of soy sauce, try low-fat ranch. I love "low-fat" Ranch because it tastes better than fat free but you still don't overload on calories! Just watch your portions...
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A vanilla greek yogurt (check calories--mine is about 100 calories) with a few blueberries or Walden Farm (0 cal) chocolate sauce on top--tons of protein to keep you full.
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    Beans!.. canellini , kidney.. add em and they'll stuff u
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't enough to sustain basic body function - it's just not healthy
    spend some time on fat2fitradio.com calculating your BMR and TDEE and base your goals on MFP from that.

Depends on the person's body type. My doc has me on a 1200 calorie diet, I can't lose weight on anything higher, I've tried. I work out as well. So everyone is different, depends on the person.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you don't regularly eat breakfast like i used to, DO IT! I find that starting the day off with oatmeal or high-protein egg whites keep me full much longer
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    i'm addicted to fresh raw veggies dipped in soy sauce... sounds weird i know but if you like soy sauce you will like this. it works great with most raw veggies, such as broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, carrots, and bell peppers.

Or instead of soy sauce, try low-fat ranch. I love "low-fat" Ranch because it tastes better than fat free but you still don't overload on calories! Just watch your portions...

I thought I was the only one who did the whole raw veggie soy sauce lol! My favorite is radishes. Love the spicy!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    lean turkey
    quinoa
    fruits/veggies

avoid:
    cereals
    sugar
    "diet bars/protein bars"
    anything high in fat (fat and refined carbohydrates are the biggest factor in calorie denseness, for the most part)

The easiest way to evaluate a food is to look at caloric density in terms of calories per gram of food. Look for stuff under 1.5 calories per gram and you should be good.