How long does it take for a glitch to become a plateau?

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
Sometimes the scales don't move for a week or two, but I've never considered that a real plateau.
I always thought a plateau was a standstill that lasts for multiple months. (In all my years of weight loss wisdom!):wink:
Am I wrong?

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    :laugh: You can call it whatever you choose, all I know is I cry when the digits don't go down when I weigh in every week!!!! :sad: :laugh: :sad:
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My most recent plateau lasted about a month. I figure if you don't lose for 3 weeks straight, that's a plateau.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scales don't move for a week or two, but I've never considered that a real plateau.
    I always thought a plateau was a standstill that lasts for multiple months. (In all my years of weight loss wisdom!):wink:
    Am I wrong?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :devil: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

try 4 months!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    There is a great thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning

I swear it worked for me every time. This time I am within my last 15 pounds so the ol bod wants to KEEP the excess fat. I realized that I had started at 1200 calories when I was 168 so where did I have to go at 137??

More exercise is the question.

What I had to do is after 2 months of nada, nuttin, zip.............I went to my maint. cals for 1 month. approx 1600 a day. I then started to wean down to a lower number and more exercise.

It worked, cuz I lost a pound this month. I know it will be slow going with my slow metabolism, but I FEEL so good, I dont even care any more if I lose the weight.

It will come off, it will just take time.

Wow.........I am chatty cathy today:laugh: :laugh:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Hijack

Did you get smaller while you were on maintenance?
    There is a great thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning

I swear it worked for me every time. This time I am within my last 15 pounds so the ol bod wants to KEEP the excess fat. I realized that I had started at 1200 calories when I was 168 so where did I have to go at 137??

What I had to do is after 2 months of nada, nuttin, zip.............I went to my maint. cals for 1 month. approx 1600 a day. I then started to wean down to a lower number and more exercise.

It worked, cuz I lost a pound this month. I know it will be slow going with my slow metabolism, but I FEEL so good, I dont even care any more if I lose the weight.

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau from about mid March til late April...then I lost 5 pounds from April 21st to April 30th and now nothing...down a pound up a pound....I am hoping that my back injury is well enough tomorrow to start back on my cardio. If not I am stuck walkin'.....HATE PLATEAU'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hijack

Did you get smaller while you were on maintenance?
    There is a great thread

No I remained the same. No gain, no loss. I did lose a pound the 1st few days I went back down to 1300 or so.