I'm so un-co!

Options
Firstly, I'm not here to lose weight, I just want to get rid of the softness and pudge esp around the middle, and get some muscle and tone all over. So I have the intentions of sampling a few of the jillian fitness DVDs, and some P90X as well as my hubby helping me with weight training etc. I'm being a bit of an exercise tart actually, haven't settled on what program I want to follow yet.

But I'm feeling very disheartened today. Tried the Jillian Michaels buns and thighs dvd today, and I'm such an un-co-spazmo, i just can't seem to get anything working, I feel so awkward and I don't bend right, and I have no strength in my arms, they begin to shake after half a min of the plank, most of the moves in this vid just too difficult, I couldn't remember all the things I was supposed to be doing (This is why I didn't want to go to public exercise class) so instead I was doing even the most basic things badly.

I know this is literally Day 3 for me of ever really exercising (apart from just walking everywhere. I mean I only quit smoking 7 weeks ago, and I have been a couch potato all my life, the only reason I'm probably not larger is cause I don't drive, I walk or ride a bike, or take transport, I have a pretty active job, and my metabolism is pretty good) but my body is feeling very alien to me right, and it wont do what I tell it.

How do you push through the pain and the shaking...I just can't seem to, most of the burn I had today was from my badly executed attempts at the moves (spent most of the time bouncing or jumping or lunging cause that's all I can do. Blurk! maybe the 30 shed will be a little more ok for a dummy like me, seriously that's what I need, a workout for dummy's!

What was it like for you guys at the start?

Replies

• sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Jillian's 30DS I started having chest pains and had to stop 3 minutes in because I was scared I was going to have a stroke.

It gets better. Listen to your body of course, but tough it out and it will seem so much easier soon.
  • weluvlinze
    Options
    You can do it! Once you have been shaking for 15-20 seconds stop. Each day you will get a little better and you will be able to do it a little longer. That is the great thing about the P90x videos. He will let you know that it is ok to stop and OK to do less than the recomended amount as long as you are giving it your all! Eat more protien too.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it... that's the secret. Eventually, you'll hold your plank longer and one of your two left feet will turn out to be a right foot and muscles will shake less. Don't give up.
  • bouselhoff
    Options
    It's hard at first! Keep trying different DVDs and online workouts until you get to something you like. If it's only day 3, it's going to take some time!! Give it all you've got and after a month I guarantee you'll start to notice a difference in your endurance and abilities!! You can do it!!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Painful.

Lol, that is how it was at the start. But yesterday (7 weeks into my new routine) I realised that everything didn't hurt, that I could breathe normally and that I wasn't sweating so much that I thought it was raining.

As for how to push through? I'm no pro, but my advice would be - start small and work up to it, learn the right form, learn what your body is saying.

7 weeks ago I could barely walk up a flight of stairs, this week I ran 5 and a half miles.....I'm not saying everyone will have the same progress, but if I can inspire you at all please take this from me: Everything takes a little practise, you WILL do it if you want to - honest :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. You will get stronger and be able to do more in no time. I started barely able to do knee push ups.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Haha What was it like at the start, you just described it! Keep at it, put the effort in & don't leave the embarrassment & sense of *kitten* get you down.

In three weeks time you'll be hitting the moves quicker, easier & with a little flourish, you won't be any good but you will notice a MASSIVE difference & every two/three weeks from there you will feel stronger, leaner & more capable, I have been doing P90X for eight months & at first I was like NO WAY! Now I am saying to my bro or partner WATCH THIS haha. It just takes a little time & a lot of effort.

Russ
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also extremely uncoordinated and just started the 30DS from Jillian, I do recommend it! Lots of lunges, squats, push ups and juming jacks. Nothing too complicated and I was able to correctly do everything, I just did it slower than what she was. Today was day 2 for me and let me tell ya I am feeling it. I ordered mine off e-bay for about 6 bucks...Good Luck! (i have such big issues with clutziness and coordination my hubby and kids don't let me stand on a kitchen chair most of the time, and I have been known to fall going up or down stairs for no apparent reason too =D )
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    You are all so good at keeping going and all deserve a medal! I am looking forward to being able to do some of these exercises. Keep at it everyone!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thanks people, its nice to know its normal and my self expectations are just a bit twisted. Hopefully I wont be tripping up all over myself soon! And I'll be able to hold my self up on my arms! ;)