Which Type of Music?

Options
2»

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    If I don't like the music, exercise becomes a serious chore. I like classic rock, so I listen to classic rock. I do prefer stuff with a beat, but it more matters if the beat matches my beat than if it's really emphasized.
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    do you like to read? my problem is that with music my mind wanders and i get bored so i want to stop. i actually started bringing books that are on my bucket to-read list or a hobby specific mag when using the cycle or stair climber machines. if the story is good it captures my attention and become totally focused on that. my body follows suit and definitely achieve the whole 'in another world' concept. climbing stairs for 30 minutes has actually become enjoyable rather than just tolerable. maybe audio books if cycling/running outside?

Audiobooks and/or podcasts are definitely great for exercise if you don't want to get distracted by counting the beats. One of my friends only lets himself listen to an audiobook when he's on the cross-trainer, so it's an incentive for him to get back to the gym to listen to the next chapter. Clever.

P.S. Is everyone ignoring the fact that the OP said he didn't like stuff with a solid beat? Poor guy. "I don't like counting beats, what do you listen to?" "STUFF WITH BEATS!"
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I listen to christian, country, rock, oldies, hawaiian...
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm old school .... '80's music for me. Pandora has an '80's Cardio Radio station that I love to listen to when I'm doing my cardio workout. :happy:
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    Metal does it for me. Fast, pounding, lots of drums, lots of crunchy guitars. Pantera, Lamb of God, etc are my go-to groups.

Lifts....RE!...Lifts...SPECT!

I prefer rock and metal also - although for cardio I lean towards artists like Static-X, Rob Zombie, nine Inch Nails and Prodigy. I dunno - just gets my blood moving. Strength training I use more 'crunchy' metal - but that's if I'm making it up myself and not listening to Jillian whine at me lol
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I listen to dubstep while working out--which pretty much can still be considered 'dance'--but probably not the same 'dance' your instructors are listening to lol
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    I listen to more R&B/Rap/POP music. Like something upbeat, not quite dance music but something with fast catchy lyrics.
  • rawheeler38
    Options
    I mainly listen to only Country music-been that way for over 20 years, although I also listen to some classic rock
  • Buffby50
    Buffby50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the reading comment! I bring my Nook to the gym and it helps the time go by on the elliptical machine or stationary bike. Other than that, Beck has some good tunes to get you moving.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Music totally depends on my mood. One day it is Type-O-Negative, Rammstein, Alice in Chains then the next day it could be Pitbull or Kesha. As long as it makes someone get up and move that is terrific!
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm very old school...Meatloaf, Creedence, Skynyrd, Chicago, 3 Dog Night, Janis Joplin.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends on the mood for the day, but heavy metal and rock are awesome. Things like Nine Inch Nails, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Coheed and Cambria, and Muse are good for working out. I also admit to liking rap and hip hop, because that stuff just makes me want to shake something.
  • FloodlitWorld
    Options
    There are way more metal-heads here than I was expecting, which is very cool. In all the gyms I've been to, you just get dance music on the TVs, which makes taking your own iPod mandatory. I'll have to try some Coheed & Cambria, would make for an epic workout :)
  • angelashay42
    Options
    I love to work out to Radiohead. Especially these songs:

I Might Be Wrong
    Everything In It's Right Place
    2+2=5
    The National Anthem
    Weird Fishes
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I have a workout playlist on my ipod that I tend to use. If during my workout I find that a song didn't motivate me, I take it off the list. This has a mix of metal I stole off my ex, rock, pop, dance, even the Hamster Dance song is on there and it's actually one of my favorites! haha. Original "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by DaftPunk is a must!

For long cardio I've used meditation music before. It just puts me into a zone that gave me a chance to focus on my mind and my body. Once I went through the entirety of Stimmung while on a treadmill and don't know if I have ever felt so refreshed afterwards.
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hands down best music to work out to? Lil Jon ;D
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    Eminem <3