BMR, Net Calories, Diet Profile - OH MY!

Options
I would very much appreciate it if someone can check out the numbers I've posted and point me in the right direction. Thanks!!

I've been on MPF for a few weeks now and I'm more confused than ever about the proper numbers and what I should be doing. I originally joined just to use the tracking parts since I was on a medically-supervised diet with my doctor (using ketosis) but I've decided to use MPF as a guideline instead, but keep seeing different opinions about what to do.

Here's what I've got:

F, 41, 274 lbs.

BMR = 1909
Goal loss = 2 pounds/week
Activity = sedentary
Exercise = 3 days/30 mins.
"Diet Profile" = Normal activity calorie burn of 2390/day
Net calories consumed = 1390/day
Daily deficit = 1000/day

I'm seeing 1390 as the calorie intake goal per day (more if I exercise - not interested in the "should I eat back my calories" discussion, I'm just trying to get a baseline right now.) I've been sticking to at or below that 1390 for a couple of weeks and no loss (no gain either (was previously in "ketosis" and lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks), so I've added more carbs).

Some suggest to not eat below BMR, which would be 1909.

Have 100 pounds to lose ... eat 1390 or 1909 or split the different and go for 1600?

Replies

• castufari
    castufari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why not re-visit keto if it worked for you?
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 lbs to lose as well.
    I'm 51 and weigh 247.
    I'm now eating around 2000 calories and lost 2.2 lbs from Sat. - Sun. (eating an average of 2400 for that week)
    This morning, I was down another 2.6 pounds!

For me, if I can lose weight while eating, I'll take the higher number any day.
    I thought eating at this high a level would slow my weight loss down, not speed it up.
    It was difficult for me to wrap my head around but sure enough, it's working for me.

Personal opinion ... go with the 1909 and see how you do.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would go for around 1800 and see how it goes for a week or two, then lower it if you find you are gaining weight.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Go to the tab at the top of the page and search for member helloitsdan. He has got a website listed that you can plug your numbers in and it will give you the amount of cals you need to eat each day...found out I was under by about 300 for my activity level, so I upped it..

Not weighing myself for a full week :noway: and we will see if this works for me. I have had no weight loss for 3 weeks now

I know this is a lot of info to process...it is hard to know what is the "right" way. Research, read and learn, and find out what works for you!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Will run more numbers on other sites and see and try different combinations.