Help me be successful! :)

Options
Hi!
I'm Becca. i'm a 22 year old college student. I've been overweight for quite a while. My biggest goal is to get into a healthy BMI range, which for me 175-130. I am currently at 288. So I have quite a long time and way to go. I'm ready for it. i've tried before to venture into getting healthy, but it is obvious to me now that my head was not in the right place all those times. i was doing it for the wrong reasons. Now I have decided to do it for me. In my family there is a history of Cancer, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease. So far, I've managed to avoid all those things, but I know if I keep carrying this weight around that it will only be a matter of time until they catch up with me. I'm here for good and "for serious".

I still don't understand BMR and the Net Calories left over after Exercise or Food Intake. Is net supposed to be at Zero? Are my exercise and food intake supposed to equal my allowed Calorie start thing. which is 1940 (what MFP starts me at ever morning?) I don't understand how this all works. numbers wise. I know that to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you intake, but does the BMR count as calories burned? Is my BMR number the calories I can eat up to before gaining weight? I don't know... :/

if any of you wonderful people out there want to help me out with these questions, please respond to this thread, or message me. i really appreciate it. I'm so happy to be apart of this community.

Thanks for reading!
-Becca

Replies

• darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You gotter girl! add me up! :D we're almost the same age and im in college as well!
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Becca, ur Bmr is the calories u burn at rest i.e how many calories you would need to just maintain basic function.. I think the average is about 1200.. so for that average, the lowest amount of net calories you should take in is 1200. net calories is after exercise. So if you consume 2000 but burn off 500, then ur net calories is 1500.. if you burn off 1000, ur net is 1000 and u need to eat more.. hope this was helpful :-)