NSV--C25K Success story!

Options
So, I started on MFP around November of 2010. I started the Couch to 5K about that same time. My husband (bobbydaniel) on MFP had started the C25k in September. I lagged a little behind, but started as well. I ran my first 5K in Jan of 2011. I ran another in February and a 3 miler and a 5k in March of 2011. I did a 5 mile race in May and then my first 10K in November. I was still running between May and November, but no races.

About that same time my husband signed up for his first 1/2 marathon, then we decided to sign up for the Rock and Roll in New Orleans. Me for the 1/2 and him for the whole.
I am telling the back story, because of what happens next. I finished my first 1/2 on March 4th. 2:40:04. Not lightening speed, but finished. My husband also finished his first marathon! :)

Well, that being said, we signed up for the St. Patrick's Day 3 miler we ran last year. My goal was just an improvement on my time. My time last year was 33 mins. This year I finished in 29:57...woo hoo!

Now for the kicker. We ran a 5k this past weekend. It was one I ran last year and finished at 35:29. This year I finished at 30:40 and I won my age division for women 40-49. Needless to say, all the fast runners stayed home! LOL! But that day, I was the fastest.

This is a year later. 60 lbs gone and lots of work, but it was a personal validation of all that work.
I post this to encourage others who may be struggling, and want to stop. I have been there. Don't quit. You DESERVE this! You OWN this! Take it like you OWN it! :)

Replies

• b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your win!!! What a great success story.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I may be a little biased since I am the said "bobbydaniel"...but I think you pretty much ROCK! And I'm very proud of how far you have come!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That is a great success!! I just decided to start the Couch to 5k program today and I'm looking forward to being able to run 5k without stopping!
    I'm using your story as motivation :D
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

I started C25K in October, ran my first 5k in late November, and I'm running my second one this Sunday! Would love to run a 10K or a 5-miler or something!

Question for you: did you do a 10K training program, like the "Bridge to 5k?" I seem to be stuck in 5k mode and can't run much farther (4.5 miles is the farthest I've gone).

Thanks!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep....you have inspired me to keep going. Just registered today for my first official 5K in April. Have already registered for a half marathon in Feb. 2012...but the thought still looms in my head that I won't be able to do it. I keep saying "I hope my knees hold out til Feb."...I know it's a crutch excuse...the excuse I plan to use when I get scared of failure....but I just plan to keep dropping the weight and refuse to be scared of failure. My hubby has been running for a couple of years now...took me a long time to join him. So glad I have. Him and our 9 yr old daughter are doing the 5K with me :)
    Congrats on your success and thank you for sharing your story :)
  • brigbug
    brigbug Posts: 34
    Options
    That's awesome!

I started C25K in October, ran my first 5k in late November, and I'm running my second one this Sunday! Would love to run a 10K or a 5-miler or something!

Question for you: did you do a 10K training program, like the "Bridge to 5k?" I seem to be stuck in 5k mode and can't run much farther (4.5 miles is the farthest I've gone).

Thanks!

No, I didn't use another program. I just upped my mileage. The 10K I ran was actually the first time I had ever done 6.2. I think the farthest I had run was 5 miles at that point. It's more conditioning and mindset at that point anyway. I just kept doing 1 longer run a week and kept doing the 3 miles a few times a week.
    Try slowing your pace down some. I know when I had to run the farther distances, I have to keep in mind I can't go at the 5K pace. See if that helps! :)
    Good luck on your 5K!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options

No, I didn't use another program. I just upped my mileage. The 10K I ran was actually the first time I had ever done 6.2. I think the farthest I had run was 5 miles at that point. It's more conditioning and mindset at that point anyway. I just kept doing 1 longer run a week and kept doing the 3 miles a few times a week.
    Try slowing your pace down some. I know when I had to run the farther distances, I have to keep in mind I can't go at the 5K pace. See if that helps! :)

Thanks! The 4.5 miler only happened when I really focused on starting slow, so I know you're right. I guess the problem is I'm not sure whether to focus on running longer or faster...I guess what you said---work for faster 3-miles during the week and a slower 4 or 5-miler on the weekend. Sounds like a plan!
  • brigbug
    brigbug Posts: 34
    Options
    I may be a little biased since I am the said "bobbydaniel"...but I think you pretty much ROCK! And I'm very proud of how far you have come!
    Thanks honey! You have been my greatest inspiration and encourager in all of this!