Figuring out BMI and TDEE

Options
MKloste
MKloste Posts: 56 Member
So I hope this isn't a stupid questions, but I am confused on how you figure out the calories that you should be eating based on what your body needs. I want to make sure I am not putting myself into "starvational mode" because even though I net my 1200 calories sometimes I am under and I am not hungry so I don't try to force myself to eat the full 1200 if I am a few under, but it seems like even though I am losing weight a lot of people have sucess by successfully eating the right amount of calories......

So I get this whole BMI and everything but what exactly is the TDEE and what do you do with the numbers so that you can figure out what you should be eatting?

I know I should have this all figured out by now, but I don't lol!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Use the site as it is set up. Don't over-think this. Re-evaluate in a month. In the meantime, educated yourself. There are lots of conflicting ways to figure your calories. This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't be too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
    Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.

You should never go below 1200 calories a day without medical supervision no matter what number you come up with.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything