No soda!!

Options
Ok, so I stopped drinking diet soda last week, and I lost 3lb when I weighed in today!! I couldn't believe it!!!! I haven't really done anything different eating-wise, I actually thought I had a bad week because we had so much going on. I have only had water to drink all week, and I used to drink 2 diet sodas a day. I'm really proud of myself for sticking to it! And the weight loss isn't that bad either! :wink:

Replies

• charlieduc
    charlieduc Posts: 108
    Options
    That is awesome! I really need to put them down and maybe break through my plateau :sad:
  • linnyrhea
    linnyrhea Posts: 105
    Options
    Thats great! Im also on a "no soda" diet. Last time I did it I lost 10 lbs, didnt change anything else about my lifestyle either. Its just so bad for you :(
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    Soda is my biggest challenge, I applaud any one who does it. Congrats
  • sarafyna
    sarafyna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :D That is great!! I haven't touched a soda in a week and a half. That's a huge accomplishment for me as a coke (real thing, mind you) is the same to me as a cigarette is to a smoker. There's studies out there that the sweetener in diet soda actually has a negative effect on weight loss.
  • tinahelton
    tinahelton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did you get "withdrawal headaches"? I am trying to slowly go off them.. only 2 a day right now. Down from having one in my hand constantly...all day, every day!!!
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I haven't had soda since July and I don't miss it one bit!

I used to be able to down a 2L without even realizing it, but now the thought of all that sugar and carbonation makes me shudder.

Lots of water and a daily protein shake for my sweet fix have done wonders toward curbing any craving I might have.

Keep it up! :smile:
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    Awesome! I gave up diet soda, the only soda I drank, as one of my 2012 goals. I used to drink a ton of diet soda, especially diet mt dew, and although the first week was really tough I haven't missed it whatsoever. I now drink almost 10 liters of water a day and if I need something special I add some crystal light or propel zero to it.

Keep it up!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I kicked soda myself when I started and have been drinking only water, though now and again I have a glass of milk. Last Friday I had an intense workout and was parched but all my mother, who reads while I'm there, had was Diet Coke and I swigged it just for something to slake my need temporarily and it tasted AWFUL. It burned and I could taste the sweetener and it was bitter and chemical-y. Last year I used to drink it almost every day.
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    Did you get "withdrawal headaches"? I am trying to slowly go off them.. only 2 a day right now. Down from having one in my hand constantly...all day, every day!!!

I had to take an excedrin in the morning and an excedrin pm before bed for over a week to get me over my caffeine addiction. It was hard but so worth it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It is amazing the amount of sodium in diet soda! The last time I had one, the scale had me up a pound the next day. Going back to water evened things out, but really taught me a lesson.
  • soagirl777
    soagirl777 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    WTG! I quit drinking pop 15 yrs ago and have not had a single drop since, no relapses and no cravings! I got tired of going out to eat at a restaurant and eating a huge meal and then drinking 2-3 large glasses of pop on top of that. I felt bloated and awful. I don't miss it one bit. All I drink is water. Great accomplishment! :wink:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My first week on MFP I cut out the sodas completely and just drank water! For someone that was drinking 5-6 cans a day of Regular soda (not diet) that was a HUGE accomplishment. I had withdrawal headaches ALL of the first week on MFP... it was AWFUL!!! BUT I lost 11 lbs the first week because of it!!! Most likely all water weight and flushing the system of all the junk I was eating and drinking, but either way it jump started my weight loss & I have been going strong ever since :smile:
  • Stephanie2167
    Options
    Great job. I gave up soda for lent. I miss a good cold Coke Zero but I'm drinking a lot more water then I ever did.
  • my2gr8boys
    Options

I had to take an excedrin in the morning and an excedrin pm before bed for over a week to get me over my caffeine addiction. It was hard but so worth it.

Yeah, I got them too the first few days. I was taking ibuprofen a few times a day when it got really bad. After 3-4 days, I was ok. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! :smile:
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Good job!! I quit about 6 weeks ago. I use to have 3-5 cups of pepsi a day. Regular, not diet. Now i have all water. It's definitley helped in the weight department! I do miss it at times, though. I hope the cravings go away completely some day.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I quit soda, too, and Diet Mountain Dew was like fine wine to me. I discovered after I stopped drinking it that I really didn't like the carbonation in diet soda.

I also will not drink Mio, the flavored additive for water. I watched one of my coworkers turn into a farty little monkey drinking it several times a day. Once he stopped spiking his water with Mio, he was bearable to hang out with at work.
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    was goin through a 2liter plus a day, and if i was out to eat, like 4 or 5 glasses, cut it out cold turkey. yes i had a headache for the first couple days, but now i feel great. and lost 15lbs in the past 2 weeks. so worth it. and dont miss it
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Congrats..... but for me I will never give up my diet pepsi... I drink 3 or 4 a day and have lost 303 lbs. In the process so it never hindered my weightloss.. but to each there on....
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    WTG! I've been soda-free for over two weeks now! (and 9 lbs down!)
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Awesome! I gave up diet soda, the only soda I drank, as one of my 2012 goals. I used to drink a ton of diet soda, especially diet mt dew, and although the first week was really tough I haven't missed it whatsoever. I now drink almost 10 liters of water a day and if I need something special I add some crystal light or propel zero to it.

Keep it up!

10 Liters? 334oz, really? Max I can get down is about 110oz...drinking all day and counting in protein mix.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!