TDEE BMR & MFP Settings?

Options
Okay, I know this question has been asked quite a few times - but I'm still very confused. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I should actually be eating every day and then whether or not to eat back exercise calories.

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 185
Goal Weight: 145
Job: Sedentary
Exercise: 6 days per week 30-60 minutes.

According to online calculators, my TDEE with NO exercise is 2126. My BMR is 1834.

Now, I've been told to eat AT LEAST my BMR, because that's the minimum amount of calories needed for regular body function. I've also been told, though, that I should cut 1,000 calories per day if I want to lose 2 pounds per week.

Now, if I cut 1,000 calories from my TDEE, that leaves me with just 1,126 calories to eat that day, doesn't it? Or - do I set my goal for the minimum 1200 and then just eat back my exercise calories (Problem: If I only burn 300 calories from exercise that day, then I'm eating just 1500 calories for the day, which is more than 300 fewer than my BMR).

Very, very confused about this. I just want to get my settings right as I've been at a slow loss / stand still for a few weeks now.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Use the site as it is set up. Don't over-think this. Re-evaluate in a month. In the meantime, educate yourself. There are lots of conflicting ways to figure your calories. This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't be too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Men
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) + 5

Women
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) - 161.

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You will have the most success eating between your BMR and TDEE. higher on days you workout (eat the exercise calories), lower on days you don't.

Don't be duped into cutting 1000 calories. It does NOT work, except for really big people. No one really loses 2 lbs. per week, consistently, unless they are BIG.

You can set a manual calorie goal: choose GOALS, CHANGE GOALS, CUSTOMIZE, then set your daily calories to your BMR. Log your food and exercise, and eat your exercise calories.

good luck!

blessings.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    You generally want to hit a number between your BMR and your Maintenance (TDEE) calories.

Unless you really aren't moving during the day, you don't have much room there to play with. I think you should recalculate. If you are working out three times a week, your TDEE isn't 300 above your BMR. You need to EITHER account for that workout in your activity setting (TDEE) OR you have to eat those exercise calories. You can't cut both.

Pick a number between the two, and try to get some exercise five days a week. Don't eat below your BMR.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with the peeps who say don't eat below your BMR. If you don't want to go over, that's fine, but you want to keep your metabolism quick and your body fed. Try to eat as many whole, healthy foods as possible. This website is pretty awesome for calculators and advice. Check it out for some more info if you like. Best wishes!!

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    According to online calculators, my TDEE with NO exercise is 2126. My BMR is 1834.

also... your TDEE is supposed to be calculated with the exercise included. Check this out. When I calculate it with your stats (set it at moderate exercise which is 3-5 days per week) it gives you a TDEE of 2853. You could subtract 1000 from that and hit your BMR, which would be a healthy goal :flowerforyou:

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

So the final question, which I think will help me get a better understanding (this is where the main confusion is coming in).

If I calculate my calories needed based on my height/weight/age + working out 5 days per week, it says:

Maintenance: 2368 CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss: 1894 CALORIES/DAY
    Extreme Fat Loss: 1480 CALORIES/DAY

Are these referring to Net or Total calories? I'm assuming Total, considering I've already accounted for my 5 days of exercise.

So, do I try to eat 1894 calories per day TOTAL (Regardless of how many calories I burn?) or do I set my Calorie goal for 1894 and then eat back whatever I burn, for a NET of 1894?

I guess what's throwing me off is that TDEE already factors in exercise, so I don't know why I would go and eat back any of those calories....
  • adamb83
    Options
    bump?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    You can lose as long as you're eating less than your TDEE. So if you start with BMR as a base, yes, you would eat your exercise calories. (preferred method for non-regular exercisers).

MFP assumes that you do not exercise (even if you put in that you're going to exercise, it doesn't give you credit for that), so when you do exercise it adds in the extra calories to your goal for the day.

If you are not a regular exerciser, I would advise you to set your base at BMR and eat your exercise calories as you earn them.

blessings.
  • adamb83
    Options
    You can lose as long as you're eating less than your TDEE. So if you start with BMR as a base, yes, you would eat your exercise calories. (preferred method for non-regular exercisers).

MFP assumes that you do not exercise (even if you put in that you're going to exercise, it doesn't give you credit for that), so when you do exercise it adds in the extra calories to your goal for the day.

If you are not a regular exerciser, I would advise you to set your base at BMR and eat your exercise calories as you earn them.

blessings.

And since I factor in my exercise into my TDEE calculations - that means I want to more than BMR but less than TDEE as given, right? (That is to say, do NOT eat back my exercise calories if I'm already eating mid-way between BMR and a TDEE which already factors in exercise?)
  • Melissa_2305
    Melissa_2305 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump interesting topic
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump. finding some helpful information in this thread
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

also... your TDEE is supposed to be calculated with the exercise included. Check this out. When I calculate it with your stats (set it at moderate exercise which is 3-5 days per week) it gives you a TDEE of 2853. You could subtract 1000 from that and hit your BMR, which would be a healthy goal :flowerforyou:

Most days (except off days) I eat a good bit more than the "Daily Exercise" option. Any idea what sort of criteria they based their formulas on?
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Personally I would eat the 1900 cals a day every day and more on workout days;

You may not have to eat much more if you are only doing steady state cardio.

Reassess in two weeks time, if you are the same weight drop another 1-200 cals off until you are dropping at your desired weight per week.
  • adamb83
    Options
    I've been using MFP's settings as is and it's been working. I agree that you don't need to overthink this or complicate it.

There are many ways to change things and get confused but the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method works for me.

The key is logging your food as honestly as possible on a regular basis and monitoring what you eat.

MFP has that built in already and it works for many people, including me, and can work for you.

MFP has (had) been working for me - but lately I've been stalled, which is why I'm trying to reassess. I log all my food, I exercise regularly, and I try to stay within my calorie & nutrition goals (usually get pretty close).

I've lost over 70 pounds in 10 months, so MFP and my approach have definitely been successful; but, now that I'm more fit than ever, have more muscle mass than ever, and have only 40 pounds to lose instead of 110, I believe I need to recalibrate something...

What confuses me about the MFP settings is what I should actually be choosing as my Activity Level. I have a desk job, which MFP says should mean "Sedentary" but then MFP doesn't take the planned exercise into account for calories. So, I was thinking I should bump my Activity level up to "Active" which would increase my calories daily - then I could eat back (or not) my exercise calories.

I think what's throwing me off the most is for TDEE calculations, "Sedentary" has five different levels - no exercise, some exercise 3 days a week, longer exercises twice per week, etc. Whereas, on MFP, "Sedentary" is just that - a desk job with no exercise.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I've been wondering the same... hopefully you'll get your answer because I haven't been able to find one.
  • adamb83
    Options
    Bump
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    yes, for MFP purposes, you are sedentary based on what you do for the majority of the day: desk job. eat the exercise calories on top of that. YES, you would eat exercise calories on top of BMR, so that you can NET the BMR. dont' go below it or you stall. (TDEE takes into account exercise, however BMR does not. MFP takes into account activity level of your "day job", so to speak, but not your exercise until you actually log it in).

I just want to back up to where you said it was working for you but you stalled. So yes, you want to reassess. How much were you eating before? were you hitting your goal every day (leaving no more than 50 calories in green?) how long have you been stalled? what are your macros? do you lift weights?

anyway, let's see those answers and start there.

blessings.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump interesting topic :)
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I am confused and feel at a loss myself! I am so glad you posted this, but I still don't have the answer and don't know if I am doing what I need to be doing either! Good luck!

If I go here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and calculate my BMR then it says 1724. Is that what I should be eating or subtract 500 a day for 1 lb loss a week. If I set that for desk job it tells me 1800 for fat loss. MFP has me at 1640....

If I go here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html It says my TDEE is 2146. So do I subtract 500 from that for a 1lb loss for a week. That puts me at 1646 which is close to MFP settings!