How should I start strength training?

Options
Hello,

I've spent years feeling fat... but being my ideal healthy weight for my height. So instead of trying to lose weight by cutting calories, I now just want to tone up and build some muscle. But, I ask you how should I start? After a workout of cardio, I already do planks and push ups. What is the best thing I can do for a total body tone? or what do you do? or how did you start? Also should I up my protein to build muscle?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• CaliGirl313
    CaliGirl313 Posts: 102
    Options
    *bump*
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have classes available? I would recommend a lift class - you get the benefits of a trainer (form instruction, etc.) without the cost ;) It's also great for motivation. When I do machines by myself, I slow down and get lazy.

I do Les Mills Body Pump at 24hr Fitness and I LOVE IT. I've noticed more change and definition in the last 4 months than in years of heavy cardio.
  • Chirde0009
    Chirde0009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New Rules for lifting is a good book to start with. Don't skip the reading before you do the workouts. Form is so important
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    you can also use resistance bands
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i recommend the book New Rules of Lifting. there is some good info on nutrition and some basic moves that you can learn.... or, if you'll be working out at home you could try some of the Jillian Michaels DVD's....??
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of a gym (and I highly recommend it)... I'd get with the trainers and have them go over it with you. In short, High reps of lighter weights if you desire to tone. Make sure you diet consists of the RIGHT things.... Proteins over fats.... Cannot build muscle without protein.... It is POSSIBLE to actually be overweight but within the BMI range... This happens when inadequate muscle mass for the body weight.... May want to get a body fat analysis to make sure that this is not the case. One other possibility is that you may have an unrealistic concept of what a healthy body image would look like. For this reason, I would definitely get the body fat analysis... Good look.

As for bulking, 3-4 sets of 10-12 repetitions of heavy weight with the last sets bringing muscle to fatigue (like you cannot lift another)... rest a day or two then work the muscle group again while gradually increasing weight. All this should be done while INCREASING your intake of especially protein. But remember this, those guys in the muscle building magazines are about as unhealthy as the one who eats the house for breakfast... just a different direction. Make sure what you are trying to attain is HEALTHY.