Kettlebell Bruising

Options
natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
If I am developing bruises on each forearm from kettlebell cleans, does that mean I am doing them wrong? They really don't hit my arms hard, and I do bruise easily, but it looks kinda ugly and is a little sore. I didn't have this problem with 15 lbs, but I am since I started using a 25 lb kettlebell. Think I should get some armbands or something. Any opinions?

Replies

• KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    If you're getting bruises your form needs work. What moves are you doing that are causing the bruises do you think? Cleans?
  • Russian1
    Russian1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get bruises to even from just holding the bells in the rack postion. Just the pressure of them against my arms causes a bruise. I bruise easily as well! I know the girl that instructs the class uses gel arm bands - I would look into getting those.
  • natalie412
    Options
    If you're getting bruises your form needs work. What moves are you doing that are causing the bruises do you think? Cleans?

Yes - cleans.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    kettlebells bruise, not much you can do about it. even with the best form, the weight should be hitting your forearms to some degree. There's a reason most seasoned kettlebell'ers use forearm guards.

have you had instruction on kettlebell use? the techniques can be very complicated.
  • natalie412
    Options
    kettlebells bruise, not much you can do about it. even with the best form, the weight should be hitting your forearms to some degree. There's a reason most seasoned kettlebell'ers use forearm guards.

have you had instruction on kettlebell use? the techniques can be very complicated.

I have not had personal instruction. Started with Kettlebell Bombshell DVD - she does really go over form and technique. I am making my own workouts now - using my PC to look up techniques. I am sticking to simpler moves right now - two and one handed swings, cleans and overhead presses, different lunges with kettlebell racked, woodchoppers, windmills, squats, and then some more isolated upper body work.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    This is how I learned to stop bruising myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVQ8_HmvxI

I highly recommend her dvds, too.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Good tips here, thanks!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do a class once a week and do sometimes get bruises on my wrists & upper arms from the bigger bells. I bruise easily anyway so don't really worry about it. I have found wearing sweatbands on my wrists helps there - when I remember to take them!!! I am not the only one in the class like this & we do compare sometimes!! :wink:
  • natalie412
    Options
    This is how I learned to stop bruising myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVQ8_HmvxI

I highly recommend her dvds, too.

Perfect!!! I especially liked that she shows how not to do it (which looks a little more similar to how I am doing it)! I have heard Lauren Brooks is really good and now I know!

Really am loving kettlebells, and feel that it is really helping whittle me down some more!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you KP for posting the you tube link. I'm going to watch it over and over until I get it right. I knew I was doing something wrong with the clean. So glad I found this post!!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yup, the video explains it perfectly. I used to bruise all the time - overzealous cleans and snatches - and whilst I got that 'ooooh bruise, it's like soreness x10' satisfaction I realised I had to polish up my form.

That said, I bruise like a blimmin' peach sometimes. I tried a 16kg at my last class, cleaned poorly, and ended up with a stonker of a bruise!

Enjoy kettlebells, they're fantastic :)
  • lstockham39
    lstockham39 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How does one get started? Are there any tips for someone who has not worked out a DAY in her life?? Kettlebells sound fun, but have NO CLUE what to do.. haha
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How does one get started? Are there any tips for someone who has not worked out a DAY in her life?? Kettlebells sound fun, but have NO CLUE what to do.. haha

I would definitely recommend finding a class or instructor, because the form has to be perfect. I don't have anything nearby that's affordable, so I picked up Iron Core - Sarah Lurie. It's a 4 DVD set. She really goes over the basics, then there are 2 different kinds of workouts. I think it would be perfect for a beginner. I've been lifting weights since March, so I stared with a 15# bell. I started about 2 weeks ago. Form is more important than weight until you really get the moves. I'm finally getting it, so will probably move up the weight soon. Good luck!

btw - I picked up the DVDs on eBay for less than $5 - and the kettlebell at Walmart for about $15. If money is an issue, it's fairly inexpensive. I'm eyeing a Lauren Brooks dvd - it's about $40.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, but it got better with time. I used kids soccer shin guards and would put a wrist band over them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love kettle bells!! clean and presses and snatches are my favorite!! snatches especially target your abs. but yes, even the best form will get you some bruising.

like others stated, the guards or some long sleeves may help.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells! I started with Amy Bento's videos. Lauren Brooks is great too! If you can check out Pavel Tsatsouline's DVDs. For workouts I use myohmytv.com.
    Working on form will help with the bruising, and arm bands.