MFP and Pregnancy

Options
13»

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to dump MFP, and changing to maintenance calories is a good idea for now. I wasn't on here when I was pregnant, so no first hand experiences. My advice would be to listen to your body, and eat when you are hungry. Do not see the pregnancy as an excuse to eat for two. I've heard people say "oh eat whatever you want, because you will lose all the weight when you are breastfeeding.", and that's not a healthy mentality to have. That was my approach during my pregnancies. I lost all the weight I gained within the first year. Best wishes for a happy 9 months.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am a childbirth instructor, I teach a twelve week class. Nutrition is a HUGE component of a healthy pregnancy. All of the mothers in my classes keep track of everything they eat and turn it in to me for review each week. I am looking for a balanced diet, vegetables, protein (you need 80 - 100 grams / day), and water intake (1/2 of your weight in ounces everyday). I think MFP is a great place to log your food and make sure you are getting everything you and your baby need to have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

That's a lot of water! If someone is heavy to begin with, and they are drinking half their weight in water, I'd be worried about over hydration and the effect it could have on their potassium and sodium levels in water.

But definitely make sure you get plenty of protein!

It is not that much water when you consider the increase in blood volume and the extra water necessary to support the growth of an additional person and the amniotic fluid. Over hydration is very rare and even more rare during pregnancy, where as dehydration is very common during pregnancy.

The pickle craving is your body's way of letting you know that it needs more sodium to increase your blood volume and production of amniotic fluid. A good rule of thumb during pregnancy is "salt to taste."

Definitely drink more water. I ended up having a kidney stone during my second pregnancy. It was horrible. I was drinking about 64oz, so I upped it to 96oz after.