"calorie counting will get you no where"

Options

Replies

• cbourtin
    cbourtin Posts: 2
    Options
    are you kidding! losing weigh is a really simple science...burn more than you take in! You ignore the twig and get back at counting EVERYTHING! count the brownie..the cream in your coffee and once you hit 1200 cal for the day STOP eating...let the stomach burn and go to bed....if you need dip celery into salsa...but you will lose weight by counting CALORIES...what does she think you should be counting...how many times a day she is negative and self-rightious. Keep the faith...it is a numbers game...go for a long walk...one hour burns as much as a 30 min jog. Sip a seltzer and dream of that bikini!
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options

If maintaining a deficit is so easy, why are there dozens if not hundreds of people posting each day that they have stopped losing weight? Because creating a deficit for an extended period of time is difficult for a number of reasons, one important one is because the body adapts to it to restore energy balance any way it can. This is why we need to be mindful of what is going on hormonally.

Look dude, you may have some valid points, but the truth is you're coming across as a BULLY, and it's just not helpful. Maybe you're just completely misunderstood, and you're really a super nice guy who wants to help everyone, who knows? But judging from the responses to your posts, you need to work a bit on how you present your information, maybe sprinkle in a little positivity. I'm being totally serious, not sarcastic at all. Just in case you didn't realize you were coming across that way. When you give people the impression that there is no hope for them, and they are somehow damaged beyond repair and nothing will work for them in the long run, it evokes a feeling of despair, not hope. ALL of LIFE, not just weight loss, is about hope, so don't take that away from people. Ok, I'll leave you alone man.... have a good day.

Um plateau duh lol If any of this was that easy do you think that the weight loss industry would be banking so much?? One's method may not work for another. What works for anorexics and bulimics definitely doesn't work for me.
  • betholiver
    Options
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    I can relate to emotional eating, half of my bad eating habits came from being too lazy to make myself something healthy to eat, drive-thrus were my go-to for most meals, the other half is from being bored and just reaching for food to fill the void.

I know when I'm feeling upset or stressed that I'll probably reach for food that isn't good for me, my trick now is to let myself have it, but not all of it. Say I go for a six-pack of donuts, I might buy six but I only allow myself to have one and then trash the rest. Its a waste of food yes and I don't want to do it or waste my money, but I'd rather throw them away than stuff my face any feel even more awful about eating them all. I've now gotten into the habbit of 'everything in moderation'. I still sometimes have my bad days, but you just put them behind you and just tell yourself you'll do better tomorrow, and then actually do it!

I'm trying to re-train myself to drink water when I go to reach for food inbetween meals, they say that at least half the time when you feel hungry your body is actually dehydrated and wants water not food. So far I have been sucessful, I've cut out all carbonated drinks even the diet stuff because even though they have no sugar they aren't good for you. All I drink is water, tea with milk and occasionally fresh juice when I feel like something sweet.

I also discovered that by eating a certain amount of protein (around 100-150 grams, you would need to eat more protein if you work out a lot) with my meals I stay fuller for longer. I find it helps to actually portion my meats as soon as I put away my shopping, I just put each portion in a ziplock sandwich bag and flatten it out a bit before I put it in the freezer. That way it's easier to defrost and you'll always have the correct portion and wont be tempted to overcook for yourself, this principle works if you are cooking for more than one person by adding more portions per person and dividing the end result.

I do count calories since I've started using this site (which hasn't been that long) but I think you have to take it with a grain of salt, I had a bad day this week and was running late for work without making myself a proper dinner (I work nights) so I stopped off at Mcdonalds on the way to work because I was starving. When I logged it into my food diary I was suprised to find it only just took me over my allotted amount of calories. The next day I was half a kilo heavier, whereas on previous occasions when I'd gone over my calories but had eaten healthy meals and snacks for the day, I'd actually lost weight.

I think you should just try to eat fresh, healthy foods (fruit and veg, NOT all that health food bars and milkshakes meal replacement bullcr*p) and try to stay away from the processed stuff like chips, soft drinks and most, if not all cereals. I say everything is okay in moderation and you shouldn't deprive yourself to the point of binge eating. But if you start eating healthy and stick to it, you find that junk food isn't all that appealing anymore. I still love my chocolate, and I break a block of chocolate into pieces and leave it in small container in the fridge and only allow myself a piece or two every few of days, that way I'm not tempted to eat the whole block! lol. I even find myself forgetting about it since it's at the back of my fridge behind all my fruit and veg. I guess the whole 'out of sight, out of mind' thing really is true because I find myself reaching for apples or carrots when I go to snack instead of chocolate. Oh and I know its hard for some people because of the party/clubbing scene but alcohol can really hinder weightloss as well.

Well, this turned out to be a lot longer than I intended, lol, but I hope this helps you a bit, or gives you a few ideas for your own weightloss journey. Good luck!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    says my 100 pound roommate. I snapped back at her. I couldn't help it, I got defensive. That comment alone was enough to shut down my entire day, and I'm convinced it was the reason I wandered up to the counter at panera and ordered a brownie without even thinking about what I was doing. I've been doing MFP for a while and I've seen little to no results. Half of it is that I can't seem to disconnect the emotional connection I have to food. Also, working out every day almost never happens. However, even weeks when I manage it somehow and eat right, the numbers barely go down and if they do, they go right back up again. Is it true.. will calorie counting really get me no where? I dont know. feeling defeated.

The fact is naturally skinny people don't eat as much food. Of course, they don't understand. Those of us who like to eat typically overeat because we don't have the same natural tendencies to not overeat a skinny person does.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    honestly... i do believe myself that calorie counting works. however i think the problem is what those calories consist of. i actually am starting a video blog about this stuff because it was something ive been learning the hard way. its all about WHAT you put into your body. How processed it is. How much stuff (artificial) is added to it. For example added sugars and salts.... processed breads and grains....canned foods... frozen foods. It all matters. Everyone goes on and on about cals in vs out and ive seen big girls on here lose weight eating fast food. The problem is how we VIEW dieting. It is seen as temporary even if we tell ourselves that we are changing our lifestyles how many of us actually believe that? Even still I think "When I get a flat tummy I will eat junk once in a while." It's a horrible mindset to have.

I just did a vlog on this actually--- I will post it here if you are interested. But its 5 tips to start/reevaluate a weightloss journey... i am eventually going to also do vlogs on calorie counting and why the scale sucks and the dangers of processed foods or the dangers of mainstream dieting. It's all related actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuM3ORu7dww&context=C4e0f7b5ADvjVQa1PpcFOLshF_0xxUbJGVxP8c0ChBp5ca3pGL0ao=
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If a 95% failure rate is any evidence, then counting calories doesn't work.

Huh? Did I miss something? Where did '95% failure rate' come from? There are thousands of ppl here who prove that counting calories does work!
    For how long?

For absolutely as long as you continue to do it! It should be obvious that you can't diet/exercise to lose weight, then expect to go back to eating way more calories than your body requires and NOT gain the weight back. So, whether you are a person who will have to literally count/log calories for life (I expect I may be) or a person who once they "get the hang of it" can eyeball their portions and continue to eat healthy foods within the limit their bodies needs, it's still all about calories in and calories burned... FOREVER. Personally, I think if you're going for health, not just a scale weight, the same is true for exercise.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    says my 100 pound roommate. I snapped back at her. I couldn't help it, I got defensive. That comment alone was enough to shut down my entire day, and I'm convinced it was the reason I wandered up to the counter at panera and ordered a brownie without even thinking about what I was doing. I've been doing MFP for a while and I've seen little to no results. Half of it is that I can't seem to disconnect the emotional connection I have to food. Also, working out every day almost never happens. However, even weeks when I manage it somehow and eat right, the numbers barely go down and if they do, they go right back up again. Is it true.. will calorie counting really get me no where? I dont know. feeling defeated.

The fact is skinny people naturally don't eat as much food. Of course, they don't understand. Those of us who like to eat typically overeat because we don't have the same natural tendencies to not overeat a skinny person does.

Barring metabolism (high or low) brought on by health issues such as thyroid problems.
  • JesusGirl4Ever
    Options
    I just have to say first, block out negativity, through text, through phone, on fb, wherever, and yes even in person! That's not what God wants for you! Second, I know how you feel with emotional connection! I have struggled with that my entire life! I lost 118 lbs naturally, but have gained back quite a bit because of Zoloft, major stress with my daughters health issues, and back issues for me which led to back surgery in January. I am now back up and getting to it. I read this book by Lysa Terkeurst from Proverbs 31 ministries, "Made to Crave" it helps you disconnect from food as your comforter. It has really helped me! She also has a bible study that goes along with it you can purchase if you choose, and a daily devotional book. Weight loss boils down to this, calories in vs calories out! That's the plain and simple truth. I have been in the same boat you have, I have been working out for over a month and eating better, staying under my calorie goal and the scale has barely moved. But as I learned before, inches usually come off before pounds, and it takes time. It is a lifestyle change that will bring results. I measure my success not by the number on the scale but how much peace I feel inside of my mind and heart by knowing that I'm eating healthier, working out, no longer using food for comfort my emotions, and leaning on God first. The goal should be peace, not a number on the scale or a size. The last two will come eventually but you will feel so much better on the inside if you have the peace first =)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see where I said "calorie counting is useless" or even implied that. You seemed to have ignored the majority of my posts in this thread and/or confused them with somebody else. If you can't comprehend my posts, then that isn't my problem.

"If you can't comprehend my posts, then that isn't my problem." ... coming from the guy who just called me on a personal attack? Hypocrite.

In any case, you're right, you didn't come out and say that. I just looked back through your posts, and all you really did was defend neanderthin (who did say as much) when others were asking why he was even on MFP if he thought calorie counting was useless.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you are counting every calorie and staying at or just below goal and you're not losing any weight..... you have to change the goal calories. Take them down 200 a day and see what happens in a week. You should lose half a pound at least.

If your plan is not working - change the plan!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about. Show me an example of where I went wrong.

Then we clearly have no need to continue this discussion as you replied to a couple of my posts with your "one-liners" that were not developed as to your thoughts. Too bad, I gave you more credit.

Now I know without a doubt you are confusing me with someone else.

You are correct - it was not you - my apologies to you for mixing up posts.
  • ciprani
    ciprani Posts: 1
    Options
    saying that calorie counting doesn't work is like saying 1+1 won't equal 2. It's mathematical- you eat more than you burn and you will gain weight.
    Strictly weight loss speaking, you are exercising to be more calorie deficient (in addition to the health benefits).

If you are counting and not losing- are you being honest with what you are counting? have you measuring everything out or just eyeballing it. That is a very interesting observation- just even asking different people what a "drizzle" of olive oil means varies HUGELY and could make or break 100-180 calories.

There was that guy who proved that you can eat mcdonalds and junk food and still lose weight if you calorie count- granted you'll be starving because that may mean eating one meal.

Be smart about what you put into your body.
    You're 1st meal should be your foundation for the day- make sure it has carbs, protein, fruit/veg to keep you full. your last meal should be light and loaded more with low cal protein and veggies than anything else.

drink a pint glass of water before every meal- in addition to the water you are normally drinking- most people don't realize that when they are restricting their diet the are probably dehydrated more than anything- that advice got me to the last 5lbs

BE HONEST with yourself- you are the only one you have to be upset with if you are not getting the results you want with weight loss.

Having someone to be accountable to (ie trainer) or even short term goals- like a hot date or a race to keep yourself in check. Trainers are amazing though especially when they help you track your progress- nothing is more motivation like seeing that scale & inches come off- right?!

happy counting! :-)
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I say don't give up NEVER LET ANYONE STILL YOUR JOY! ur roomate seems to have her own issues,Never listen to anyone who hasnt been in your shoes! for example i never ask a friend who is single advice about my relationship how they can they tell me when they don't even have a man lol diffrent sbject hopefully u get my point.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'd like to see where I said "calorie counting is useless" or even implied that. You seemed to have ignored the majority of my posts in this thread and/or confused them with somebody else. If you can't comprehend my posts, then that isn't my problem.

"If you can't comprehend my posts, then that isn't my problem." ... coming from the guy who just called me on a personal attack? Hypocrite.

In any case, you're right, you didn't come out and say that. I just looked back through your posts, and all you really did was defend neanderthin (who did say as much) when others were asking why he was even on MFP if he thought calorie counting was useless.

Yeah the problem was your latest post seemed so off base from what I actually said, I could only assume you completely didn't comprehend my posts. But now I think just like the other guy, you confused me with neanderthin.

Yeah I defended neanderthin because I don't see it as a prerequisite that one must be a believer in manual calorie restriction as the end-all-be-all key to weight loss in order to benefit from using MFP.
  • jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your roommate will grow up some day.

You're gonna be fine.

I still deal with food and emotions getting all tangled up, but four years ago I counted calories, started exercising, and lost 60 pounds. For me, maintaining SOME kind of exercise program has been really important. It helps with weight, mood, and overall wellbeing.

Just started MFP (used Calorie King for the 60 pounds) because 15 of the 60 crept back. I'll get rid of 'em and get where I want to be. So will you. Statistics can go blow.
  • grinch031
    Options
    saying that calorie counting doesn't work is like saying 1+1 won't equal 2. It's mathematical- you eat more than you burn and you will gain weight.
    Strictly weight loss speaking, you are exercising to be more calorie deficient (in addition to the health benefits).

Practically speaking, calorie counting is NOT precise enough to guarantee continuous weight loss or even maintenance of weight loss. Studies show calories consumed and expended are both inaccurate when self-reported by dieters. In addition, calorie counts of restaurant foods and packaged foods have been shown to be off by as much as 20%. In addition, it is very impractical to accurately measure calories expended by the body so we go by estimates that differ from person to person. Not only that but there is no consensus even on the formulas for determining calories burned. There are too many points of failure in this process to simplify calorie counting as a matter of 1 + 1 = 2, but you're right in a laboratory you can say that 1 + 1 = 2.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Yeah I defended neanderthin because I don't see it as a prerequisite that one must be a believer in manual calorie restriction as the end-all-be-all key to weight loss in order to benefit from using MFP.

OK - so lets take this in a different direction: This and all other BB's in the world will develop a monolithic thought and anyone outside of that is challenged (I am not there on a lot of the same thinking process thoughts as the MFP gang, too, and been in your place a couple times).

I will yield that most people here are using MFP as a tool for a hard stop calorie restriction and food diary. Too, Support and the occasional debate practice on the forums being secondary but exists. Even those like Dr. Atkins who have said many times that calorie counting is not the requirement (but also yielded in the same writings that you would naturally consume fewer calories on their "no counting plans" as you would be more satiated so in effect, were calorie restricted while watching carbs.

So how are you and neanderthin and anyone else reading this thread using MFP as an alternate tool in your success? If not calories counting, how does MFP benefit you and what makes it work for you guys?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Practically speaking, calorie counting is NOT precise enough to guarantee continuous weight loss or even maintenance of weight loss. Studies show calories consumed and expended are both inaccurate when self-reported by dieters. In addition, calorie counts of restaurant foods and packaged foods have been shown to be off by as much as 20%. In addition, it is very impractical to accurately measure calories expended by the body so we go by estimates that differ from person to person. Not only that but there is no consensus even on the formulas for determining calories burned. There are too many points of failure in this process to simplify calorie counting as a matter of 1 + 1 = 2, but you're right in a laboratory you can say that 1 + 1 = 2.

Probably all true, but at least it gives you a place to start. If your planned meals based on what you think your calories in / out should be aren't resulting in weight loss, make small changes to the plan and see what happens. No one says it has to be perfect on paper, as long as you figure out how to get results eventually.
  • grinch031
    Options

OK - so lets take this in a different direction: This and all other BB's in the world will develop a monolithic thought and anyone outside of that is challenged (I am not there on a lot of the same thinking process thoughts as the MFP gang, too, and been in your place a couple times).

I will yield that most people here are using MFP as a tool for a hard stop calorie restriction and food diary. Too, Support and the occasional debate practice on the forums being secondary but exists. Even those like Dr. Atkins who have said many times that calorie counting is not the requirement (but also yielded in the same writings that you would naturally consume fewer calories on their "no counting plans" as you would be more satiated so in effect, were calorie restricted while watching carbs.

So how are you and neanderthin and anyone else reading this thread using MFP as an alternate tool in your success? If not calories counting, how does MFP benefit you and what makes it work for you guys?

I periodically use MFP in order to track my ad libitum consumption of foods just for informational purposes. I like to know what my tendencies are based on the dietary constraints I've put in place (which are very little other than restricting foods high in carbs).

But still, I don't think there is or should be any obligation to use any particular service on this site. I find the forum to be the most valuable service here that I use. Why, because I can find people willing to talk about just about anything here.

So when someone poses the question as the OP did (please re-read the last sentence of the OP), all posters should be willing to accept opposing views. If they can't, then the problem is them being close-minded.