Aching Calves

Options
Hey everyone, hope everyone is proud of themselves.

Anyway, I gather this has already been approached but after looking I can't seem to find any information that is specific enough to the answers I require.

Anyway, I have been working out now for three months and this last month I have joined a gym, going four-six times a week for 60 minutes at a time. I had an ankle injury which prevented me from doing any high impact exercises that might aggravate it but now that it's all healed up, I can finally start training for the 5k I have at the end of May.

I started the C25K program on Monday and continued with it Tuesday. Problem I have is since I finished it my calves have been aching since, during the night I got up to use the bathroom and they were screaming at me and made it rather difficult to walk. Now, I understand that the initial 'shock' to them of my 'running' for the first time since....well, the first time, may be making them scream "Go away! We don't like this new thing you are doing." However, that is not an option for me. I really want to 'run' this race, it's a long story, but it means so much to me.

Right, my questions.

Is there anything I can take/consume to help my poor muscles not feel so hard done by?

Is it okay to continue with the program or should I wait a day or two?

How do I know when I have pushed them to the limit, before they become injured and not just whiny?

I hope someone can answer these questions. Just in case anyone is wondering if my weight is an issue with the pain, I am 5ft9 and weigh 184lbs, still in the overweight category but not majorly overweight.

XXX

Replies

• FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find massaging arnica into my calves is MAGIC. It's also wise to do dynamic stretches to warm up and stretches again as part of your cooldown to stop your calves from getting too tight.

As for knowing where the line between pain and injury is.... sorry, I'm really bad at that. >.<
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I shall pick some up and see if that helps.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I got a result by using those pressure bandages - you get them cut off a roll at the chemist, I got two long enough to be like knee socks. Not tight - just warm. Made a huge difference.

that and massaging. Knead them pushing towards the heart, and do it for a while. Each timje you push with your thumb you loosen a little more flesh. It took me over a week to win but I did win and I did not stop exercising. Listen to your body though - good luck. :)