When do you workout? Are you a morning person ?

Options
As you can tell by the hour 0453 I am a morning person. I just like having it done before I get on with my day. Honestly if I wait and I see the sofa after work...well let's just say, I am not going anywhere. Plus I like to go to work with that slight sense of superiority :-) just kidding....

Seriously, have any of you done both morning and evening? Does one time produce better results? I leave lunch time out because, for me, that can't happen. Thanks!

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Having 3 different shift times depending on the week, I slap it in whenever I can.
  • redman692000
    Options
    Im also a morning person and i just started doing cardio before work @ 5:00am instead of mid afternoon on my lunch break and I can see a difference on the scale and I have way more energy throughout the remainder of the day. Morning workouts on an empty stomach is working for me........good luck
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Morning - just checking in on MFP then it's a walk with the dog and a run before work.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Morning for sure. I need to get moving before my brain knows what's going on. That gives me a sense of accomplishment and doesn't leave it hanging over me all day. It's just too easy for me to make excuses if I wait.

Sometimes I feel good enough because of the workout that I might throw in some extra activity later just for fun.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Always evening after work. I like my bed too much to get up earlier in the mornings!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl, so mornings would NOT work for me. I use my commute home after work to exercise.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Morning.

I get to the gym at 6am as soon as it opens.
    Its not quite optimal, as it would be nice if I could have breakfast first and work out around 11am, but unfortunately like most people I am at work.

I don't bother with evenings, as I am more tired after work, plus I once went to the gym, and its completely packed. It's suprisingly busy at 6am too, but not so much that I can't get on with what I want to do without having to wait around.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Definitely the morning for me, a friend and I go to ur local sporting ground where they have installed 4 stations of gym equipment that anyone can work out on. Rally fantastic stuff to do cardio and strength training. I am there at 7 am and workout for up tp an hour. But then I sometimes walk in the afternoon for 25 -60 minutes as well. Mind you I am finding it harder and harder to get out of bed by 6 am these mornings.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the evening. I usually come home after my workouts, shower, then go straight to bed.

It really doesn't matter as long as you do it.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning, absolutely. That's when I do my daily training (either my C25K running, or a hill climb). But, I will do things later in the day if at all possible. I like to do extra exercises and thereby earn extra food for my piehole, which dearly loves food.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Evenings on works days, and early mornings on the weekends,
    I have tried doing 2 times a day but I was just too knackered, it was an experience though.
    In fact, 2 times a day was good when I only worked half days, lol, in a Gym.
    I prefer long deliberate training sessions on the weekends, in the week I always feel rushed for time so often just push the cardio in the week.
  • James4784
    James4784 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always work out at about 4pm, i don't have time in the morning's before work. I always find i have to go straight from work or else something else crops up. I do like that time though because your body recovers whilst you sleep, which they say is a 3rd of the battle!! (3rd diet, 3rd exercise and a 3rd rest) :)
  • cardinal56
    cardinal56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Usually I work out in the morning or it is likely that it won't happen! I am trying to change that by signing up for some fun classes like hula hoop & water zumba. We will see how it goes. :)
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I work from home I get up at 6am and go for a 2.5 hour work out before work and always have a great push because the gym is so empty. Most of the time though i'll go in the evenings and I struggle a little bit more. Weekends are my favourite because I can go about 9/10am and get it out of the way but still have a great push and feel good all day! xx
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5.20am and do half hour to an hour workout before getting the kids up, school run and work. I have found that it really wakes me up and I do feel energised for the day! At weekends I vary when I do my workout! I also try and do something of an evening too twice a week I do Zumba for 20-45 minutes plus most evening I do strength using my weights and a bit of yoga! But mornings definately work for me for my main workout. x
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    As you can tell by the hour 0453 I am a morning person. I just like having it done before I get on with my day. Honestly if I wait and I see the sofa after work...well let's just say, I am not going anywhere. Plus I like to go to work with that slight sense of superiority :-) just kidding....

Seriously, have any of you done both morning and evening? Does one time produce better results? I leave lunch time out because, for me, that can't happen. Thanks!

I do not, generally relish training in the morning, early or otherwise, however, I hate to admit this, but most of my very best training sessions have been the mornings ones.

I tend to find it difficult to get motivated and have to force myself to get training if the only option for me that day is early morning, but really, it seems to suit me (I just wish I loved the idea of training early though lol).
  • EoinMag
    EoinMag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    World records are generally set mid afternoon, the inference that is drawn from this fact is that you perform better in the afternoon. I'm not a morning person anyway, so it suits me to do the excercise when I get home in the evening.
  • jonesyuno34
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have no choice but to workout in the evening. I have to be at work by 6am and I live 40-45 mins away, so getting up all the earlier to workout just doesn't happen.

I come home, and let my wife go running. Then, when she returns, I go running. On off days, I acutally prefer to workout early afternoon. Thats when I play basketball, and I feel like I have most of my energy at that point.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    Definitely the morning person. Up at 0330 to be at the gym @ 0400. Workout, shower and @ work by 0600. There is no way that I would work out after work and I know this, so best time for me is as soon as I roll out of bed. Of course, this does mean I go to bed earlier than most as well .....
    :ohwell:
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have started exercising in the mornings. I'm not at the point where I'm doing murderous workouts yet, but the moderate things I do happen at about 5:45am or so. I like waking up about 15 mins before, getting my body to wake up fully, stretching then hopping on the elliptical.

I'm worn out after work, so I don't think I would be motivated then, and it would be impossible for me to do anything during the day.