Nutrition To Lose Weight?

Options
I've been doing some research and found that based on my states I'm allowed to have 1,500 calories a day to lose weight? MFP set mines to 1,200 cals a day which I thought would give me a better chance of losing since it was lower; but lately I'm reading a lot of posts on how upping calories will help you lose weight better. Is this true? Cause I'm finding it hard to grasp that :p
And is there a way to modify the MFP calorie goal?

Also, I'm pretty concerned with the amount of carbs you need to lose weight. I've recently gotten weight watchers microwave meals for busy days. The calories arent high yet the amount of carbs in a meal alarm me. My question is, if you still keep within the calorie goal can you lose weight despite the level of carbs? Again, from what I've been researching 50-100g carb is ideal for moderate weight loss/ 100-150 for gradual weight loss whereas MFP set mines to 165

Sorry if this is too many info! Answers are greatly appreciated. I'm having a lot of doubts and confusions :(

Replies

• LMT90
    LMT90 Posts: 24
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I'm really struggling to understand calories as well x
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research and found that based on my states I'm allowed to have 1,500 calories a day to lose weight? MFP set mines to 1,200 cals a day which I thought would give me a better chance of losing since it was lower; but lately I'm reading a lot of posts on how upping calories will help you lose weight better. Is this true? Cause I'm finding it hard to grasp that :p
    And is there a way to modify the MFP calorie goal?

Also, I'm pretty concerned with the amount of carbs you need to lose weight. I've recently gotten weight watchers microwave meals for busy days. The calories arent high yet the amount of carbs in a meal alarm me. My question is, if you still keep within the calorie goal can you lose weight despite the level of carbs? Again, from what I've been researching 50-100g carb is ideal for moderate weight loss/ 100-150 for gradual weight loss whereas MFP set mines to 165

Sorry if this is too many info! Answers are greatly appreciated. I'm having a lot of doubts and confusions :(

If your calorie count is set to 1200 a day it's because you've chosen to lose 2lb a week. That means you have to lower your calorie count from maintenance to 1000 below maintenance - 2lb is 7000 calories.

So basically, your last diet was moving more gradually and will probably work better simply because 1200 cals a day is really tough to stick to straight out of the gate for a long long time. 1500 cals is bad enough. :)

To modify your daily calorie intake modify your weight loss goal.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    As to carbs? I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. It's all too much for me. i just do what I can to come vaguely near what they want in the protein and calcium areas, together with the calorie areas, and sort of leave the rest to chance.

I think you can take on the difficult areas when you've been doing the diet a little while. That's how I see it, anyway.
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for your answer!

I get what you mean, I used to not want to rethink it too much and just stick to counting calories and my workout routine. It's just that some friends have shed light on the food I consume since I can't seem to lose weight! They think I should reduce my protein since I look bulkier, and I should limit my carb intake ergh! It's all confusing