Butternut Squash

Options
dulceluva
dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
I was watching the Food Network and saw someone do this:

1 entire squash. Dice it and take 3/4 and put it in a blender and puree. In a sautee pan with some oil, sauteed the rest of the diced squash with onions and then added some cherry tomtatoes, seasoning and herbs.

Then... he added his favourite pasta to the pan and added the puree and tossed everything.

Think how healthy that must be with the pureed squash acting as the sauce to the pasta and then you get some extra texture with the diced bits.

I know that you guys can substitute regular pasta with tofu, soybean or other low calorie pastas.

I want to try this...can't wait.

Replies

• dulceluva
    Options
    I was watching the Food Network and saw someone do this:

1 entire squash. Dice it and take 3/4 and put it in a blender and puree. In a sautee pan with some oil, sauteed the rest of the diced squash with onions and then added some cherry tomtatoes, seasoning and herbs.

Then... he added his favourite pasta to the pan and added the puree and tossed everything.

Think how healthy that must be with the pureed squash acting as the sauce to the pasta and then you get some extra texture with the diced bits.

I know that you guys can substitute regular pasta with tofu, soybean or other low calorie pastas.

I want to try this...can't wait.
  • CruisinKat
    Options
    I love butternut squash. Thank you so much for providing this recipe. I will definitely have to try it very soon!

~CruisinKat
  • jennafree
    Options
    no spaghetti squash is this best food ever.. put some spaghetti sauce on it and it tastes just like spaghetti but a heck of a lot less calories
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm this sounds interesting. I think I will try this and make a big batch to freeze some I am always looking for new things to put on my noodles. The less fat n calories the better. Thanks
  • dulceluva
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash too but they are totally different with respect to texture. You get the silkiness with the butternut acting as the pasta sauce and you get crunchy, al dente texture with the spaghetti squash.

both equally yummo
  • rissa1322
    Options
    i cant find spagetti or butternut squash anywhere.. are they at regular grocery stores
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Yes. They should be at your local grocery store and if not, try a bigger chain and maybe they will have it for you. Somtimes places only have Acorn Squash but keep a lookout for butternut and spaghetti.
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Yes, it should be at a regular grocery store... you can always try Whole Foods or an international grocery store
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have also sauteed spaghetti squash in a pan with just alittle olive oil, onion and garlic and a little parm. cheese...delicious
  • dulceluva
    Options
    I bought some butternut squash today...mmmm I can't wait to do something with it :P