Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

A little inspiration???

Soooo....I'm frustrated. Who isn't, right? Anywho just need a little inspiration!

My story is a long one so I'll try to sum it up as best I can. I'm 32 and have had chronic neurological lyme for 20+ years but have been battling it bad since Feb 2009. I ended up bed bound for several months and then have been using a walker on and off since November 2010. Along with the lyme, I also have a mitochondrial disorder (my cells don't have energy - i.e. me and my muscles don't have energy), type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea and on and on and on....

From about 2002 until 2008 I ran - I did many 5K's, 5 - 10milers and a half marathon (in spite of my illnesses which weren't nearly as bad as they are now). During that time, I was a full-time graduate student, a part-time research assistant then I ran a felowship program for undergrads at a local university as well as an afterschool science program and camp for underpriviledged youth and now I can no longer work because of my illness (so no, I'm not lazy and don't use my health issues as an excuse!). When I was healthier I used running as my "me time" as well as keeping me in shape. I LOVED running. Starting in 2008, I started to no longer be able to run which led to the start of a steady weight gain. Being bed bound didn't help! I gained 50lbs in a little over a year and then put on an additional 15 lbs up until the end of the summer 2011 and then I started using MFP in Dec 2011(I joined earlier but didn't really use it).

Well the PCOS, severe insomnia (oh I didn't mention those too! lol) and the lyme cause nearly constant cravings! The diabetes probably does too as well as causing some weight loss trouble. It's not that I haven't lost weight, but I've been at the same weight since Jan 29th. I know why and I don't intend to give up, but it's just such a struggle. Exercising is a rare treat and not a daily option unfortunately. When I used to have cravings, I'd go for a run. Now that I don't have that option, I have trouble distracting myself.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be fabulous! Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Anyone got anything for me?? Eh?? :wink:
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    well gosh you have a lot going on! All I can say is I am dealing with PCOS, pre diabetes, blown right knee, stress overeater, 5 kids, full time midnight worker so I am chronically deprived. So I know a tiny bit of what you are feeling.

I am new to MFP but am finding lots and lots of info and support here. I say good on ya' for coming on and trying to get a handle on your weight. It won't be easy with your constraints but it can be done. I guess you will have to find new ways, different than before you became sick, of finding your me time and ways to deal with the cravings.

Is a floor peddler an option for you? as a way to get some daily exercise?
  • econut2000
    Thanks Cobehale. :smile: sounds like we could both use a little help right now, huh? Good luck to you as well!! Yes, I do have one of those - I usually try to do more than that but since it's a struggle getting in a full 20 minutes of exercise everyday peddling a few minutes on those days would be better than nothing!! It has been a struggle for me to remember that running isn't an option anymore and that's not the only form of exercise there is. I finally got over that struggle, but I also need to remember a 20 minute workout video or a 20 minute walk doesn't need to be the only exercise I get! Great thinking :flowerforyou:
  • zumbaabby
    zumbaabby Posts: 59
    well, you are dealing with a lot...and I'm not familiar with some of those illnesses, so I'm not sure what kind of effect they have on your body. I know it's very frustrating to be at the same place..I've been there did that, too. Is there anyway that you can possibly do yoga or anything to help build the energy and strength in your muscles? I'm just curious...or something like the walk away the pounds that's not to terribly hard on the body and can be done at home? Aside from everything, I'm sure you will find a way to get where you need to be...you can do it! :)
  • econut2000
    Hey Zumbaabby thank you for the well wishes! :drinker: I do yoga on occasion (I have multiple videos) to try to keep me flexible but I can no longer do the power yoga I used to do. I don't know whether to do "easier" yoga (I have trouble holding the poses so it mostly ends up being me doing the breathing exercises) or another exercise video when I have the energy. I do Jillian's 30 Day Shred (it's only 20 minutes so I have the stamina and take several breaks against the advice of Jillian lol) once a week to try to get in some strength training and I use my Wii or take a quick walk outside ocassionally to get in some cardio.