eating back excersise calories doesnt work for me :(

Options
1235»

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are using half logging calories and half WW you can't be sure what you are actually eating in calories. Fruit though good for you does have calories and sugar. It is as simple as calories in versus calories burned - the problem is so many people don't estimate their portions correctly. If you are doing WW you should know what a correct portion of meat is - a chicken breast you would typically get from a restaurant is usually two servings of chicken - not one - more calories to log. Also, I wasn't being very strick on my logging thinking "it would all even out" and wasn't losing. When I did do strick logging - I found out I was consuming about 500 more calories than I thought from things like creamer in my coffee, a bite of cookie here, more dressing on my salad than what counted as one serving, etc.

Figure out your own calories goals and then just use MFP to log and keep track of those calories - nothing says you have to go by MFP recommended calories. I have my calories set at 1300 and I only log half of my exercise because I believe that MFP gives me too many calories burned for each workout. If you eat over 1 or 2 days by 100 or 150 calories, if you are doing everything else right - it shouldn't be a big deal - most diet plans give you a "free day" which will add on to your weekly calories and they do that so that you bump your calories one day a week.

When I don't lose weight - I can go back and tell you exactly why -- I had too much alcohol that week - even if you log your calories you drink in alcohol it can still stall your weight loss, or I had too many processed carbs. I fully believe that eating processed foods versus real foods will make a huge difference in weight loss. That being said - I have a hard time cutting those processed foods but I have no one but myself to blame when I am not getting to my goals.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Just like the title says, I gained doing what others swear by. So..does this mean I am one of the people who can only lose weight by eating little? Really frustrated right now
    No, this means one or more of the following is happening:
    You over estimate how many cals you burn from exercise (using MFP or the machine will do this)
    You under estimating how much you eat (not weighing solids and measuring liquids)
    You have a lower BMR then MFP predicts
    You are retaining water, most likely either due to workouts or sodium intake
    You have Thyroid or other hormone issues

I couldnt have said it any better myself.

i highly recomend using your BMR as a bare minimum. Try not to consider any exercise you have done as extra room to eat. most of the time machines are wrong or you will over estimate how much you have actually burnt and/or under estimate how much you have actually eating.

THIS!!! Eat at least your BMR! Find out what it is and eat AT LEAST those caloriese everyday. There's lots of threads on here about BMR. Check it out!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This is so not working for me. Calories in minus energy expended is doing nothing. So much for the little gadget that tells me what I will weigh after 5 weeks. In three week, still status quo. Kickboxing, running, strength training. 2 recovery days per week. 8 hours sleep. First week I did not eat back any exercise calories. For 2 weeks I have eaten back about 80% of exercise calories. Still nothing!

Remember that MUSCLE weighs more than FAT so if you are building muscle tone and losing FAT it will take time to register on the scale. Focus more on how are your close fitting, how are you feeling...these might be the current determiners for how you are actually doing.
  • shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is so not working for me. Calories in minus energy expended is doing nothing. So much for the little gadget that tells me what I will weigh after 5 weeks. In three week, still status quo. Kickboxing, running, strength training. 2 recovery days per week. 8 hours sleep. First week I did not eat back any exercise calories. For 2 weeks I have eaten back about 80% of exercise calories. Still nothing!

Remember that MUSCLE weighs more than FAT so if you are building muscle tone and losing FAT it will take time to register on the scale. Focus more on how are your close fitting, how are you feeling...these might be the current determiners for how you are actually doing.
    If your not losing fat, you just eating that little too much. most people will under estimate how much they eat and over estimate how much they burn. a typical HIT workout burns around 300-400 calories and this is intense exercise for about an hour. and most food products you buy are probably containing more calories than what is labeled. ie if you go and grab a protein bar and it advises you it is 100 grams and you get 200cals per serving. It can contain anywhere between an extra 10-30 grams extra per package, which could be increasing you calories by an extra 50 or so a day. times that by 7 days a week you have just lost you "500" cal defecit. And not everyones BMR is exactly the same its just an average. they take hundreds of people put them in a test and from allthe information they devide it by how many test subjects there were and that will give you the average, some people may have slightly higher metabolic rate or slightly slower.

Dont be afraid to decrease the calories if your not seeing results. worst case scenario if you go low for a week and your still not losing you can always get back to where you started.

Just so you know you will not lose muscle whilst dieting aswell i highly reccomend you check out

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Great information, i have followed these guys for years, Rusty moore, Brad Pilon, John Barban They all have masters in thier fields and tell it how it is.

And to be honest the main reason people believe they need to eat more than they actually do its marketing... the suppliment industry pays for the studies, takes all the info and slightly twists it to their advantage and now they have you believing you need to completed a Cutting phase, bulking phase, eat 6 meals a day, eat more than your bmr. eat more to lose weight etc etc... sorry i went a little off topic but these are just some questions i get a lot from my clients and i have a 100% success rate in getting them to all lose fat whilst maintaining muscle mass.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you again everybody, you've all been so helpful it's unreal lol

I figured that maybe I will give it another go but this time counting every single calorie I put in my mouth lol that means ditching WW method.

So, i will eat 1200-1500 calories and eat half of my excersise calories back. I tried that for the past few days and I actually have gone down a few pounds :)