Success on Memorial Day weekend...

Options
Hey guys, just thought it might be helpfull to share ways to successfully eat healthy this weekend if you're planning on attending a BBQ or cook out like I am. Usually everyone has such good advice, and when I see it I have one of those :: why didn't I think of that?:: moments. I am going to a BBQ tonight, but I'm worried about what there will be that I can eat and still stay within my calories??? I don't like hamburgers so usually I'll have a hot dog, but I know they're horrible! I'm sure there will be chips, cookies, brownies, soda, potato salad... all that junk. What is everyone else doing in order to have a successful Memorial Day weekend? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I'm going to a picnic as well. I'm going to scan to see what looks lowest in calories and try to eat just a little of what looks good and try to exercise when I get home!

Good Luck and don't forget to enjoy yourself!!!

:glasses:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Good luck to you, too! I'm definitely going to get a good workout in before I go. I'm just hoping there is *something* not horrible there! I purposely made cookies to bring that I don't like so I won't be tempted!
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    In the past I've seen lots of suggestions about eating before you go, that way you aren't starving when you get there.

For me, I volunteer to bring something I know is healthier that way I have at least ONE thing not to feel totally guilty about.

Last option, enjoy it for what it is. A holiday celebration.... workout hard that day, eat in moderation the foods you want, and don't beat yourself up about it later.

The big thing to remember, it's a lifestyle.... create habits that you can live with.
    :flowerforyou:
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    The biggest thing to remember is that we need to make healthy choices about what's laid out, and to control the portions. My biggest weakness on holidays is the beer... I won't lie LOL! So I just have to take along a flask of whatever liquor I want to drink and mix it with either diet soda or crystal light or something low in cals. AND I have to know when to stop...

best of luck to us all this weekend :)
  • KimberlyKurtz
    KimberlyKurtz Posts: 287
    Options
    It's not only memorial day weekend it's my birthday weekend so i have to be extra cautious about what I eat. This morning I get up and my husband is making a casacda (spelling?) cake he showed me the recipe and said dont look the calories I did 650 for one pice an over 40 fat grams, 80 some carbs yikes!!! I appricated him makeing my b-day speical but gee that's a lot of calories. My game plan is to do two protin shakes a day they usually keep me full longer. Also today I plan doing two workouts that way if I do over eat the scale won't go up too much! Good luck!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY- I have never heard of that kind of cake, but based on the number of calories I bet it's great :laugh: Enjoy your day!! :flowerforyou:
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    Usually someone is healthy enough to bring a big green mixed salad which I always enjoy when they do!!! Fill up your plate with that and lots of fresh fruit (someone will usually have cut up watermellon or berries). Lots of water and maybe they would even have veggi burgers? Those are more popular these days. Eat it with no bun! Just some suggestions :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. :wink: