what are your favorite chest exercises?

obviously there are pushups and similar, bench press and simliar. none of those give me the 'afterburn' that tells me I got a good targeted lift in.

any exercises you do in particular that really help the pecs and chest? I prefer dumbells to barbells, but am open to both.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Are you trying to build strength, or do more of a bodybuilding approach? How many reps / sets do you do?

For strength, just stick to the bench presses and keep adding weight.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Chest Flys (flyes, flies?) at various inclines help target the upper and lower pecs for me.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Chest Flys (flyes, flies?) at various inclines help target the upper and lower pecs for me.

excellent, totally forgot about those
  • kealambert
    Are you trying to build strength, or do more of a bodybuilding approach? How many reps / sets do you do?

For strength, just stick to the bench presses and keep adding weight.
    little bit of both...at this stage, I'm looking to get stronger and increase lean muscle mass and shed bf.

i will keep doing that, but would like to add to the routine.

right now, I'm doing 3 sets at 10-12 reps/set, trying to find what the best weight is for me. i know heavy is about 5 reps/set, so I'm aiming to get to the 6-8 reps until failure point, and then i can go from there
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    bb bench and db bench.

the "burn" doesn't mean you hit the muscle properly, just means you filled it with lactic acid. I can get a burn from repping 20 pound dumbbells, doesn't mean I did much.
  • kealambert
    bb bench and db bench.

the "burn" doesn't mean you hit the muscle properly, just means you filled it with lactic acid. I can get a burn from repping 20 pound dumbbells, doesn't mean I did much.

good call. if i work out to exhaustion AND feel that, bonus. I like feeling muscle soreness, it gives me a tangible and immediate sense of accomplishment. granted, it may not mean all that much, but if i feel it in one muscle group i worked, and not the other, it leads me to think I could push that other group harder.

myth? broscience? idk
  • ilovedeadlifts
    kind of broscience but I know what you're saying.

I'd push for heavy DB or BB bench, and inclines.

Then if you want that burn do some repitition work. When I was following the westside conjugate method, after my heavy sets, I'd do 2-3 sets of lighter weight to failure. It's called the Repeated Effort method. That's gonna give you the burn, and promote some muscle growth.

Flys were hard on my shoulders and I didn't care for them. The basic lifts will pack the size on if you're hitting em hard enough.
  • kealambert
    awesome, thanks.

I do both DB bench and inclines, so I will try adding extra lighter sets at the end, give it a shot. i haven't done flies since i hurt my shoulder in december (rotator cuff), so it's yet to be seen how that will respond.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    awesome, thanks.

I do both DB bench and inclines, so I will try adding extra lighter sets at the end, give it a shot. i haven't done flies since i hurt my shoulder in december (rotator cuff), so it's yet to be seen how that will respond.

if you're having RC problems, I'd be careful with the flies. Seems like they put a lot of force on that area.
    I had shoulder issues in december as well and have stuck to a fairly close grip on bench (elbows stay tucked in) and it's really helped eliminate the issue.

Hope it goes well for you.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    awesome, thanks.

I wouldn't worry about flies if you're covering all your compound lifts and getting the workout you need. I add them in just to achieve that burn feel, and have swum for years so my shoulders are very strong - I go 24kg in either hand usually for a 3*8
  • kealambert
    for which exercise? i was doing 10 reps of 50lb at the last set last night with a spotter, and was shocked i could
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    the "booby bounce dance" while standing in the mirror
  • kealambert
    the "booby bounce dance" while standing in the mirror

i'll need to see video footage of your technique
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    obviously there are pushups and similar, bench press and simliar. none of those give me the 'afterburn' that tells me I got a good targeted lift in.

any exercises you do in particular that really help the pecs and chest? I prefer dumbells to barbells, but am open to both.

Just because you arent getting DOMS doesnt mean you arent doing good work.
    With high weight low rep work and proper rest between sets you probably wont get DOMS.

touching on the post you had yesterday, if you have a good starting routine like Stronglifts 5x5 or starting Strength or even Rustys Visual Impact, youll get a great workout as long as you follow directions.

I started following directions from these types of programs and some days I dont get DOMS, heavy lifting 5rep 5set stuff, and some days I hurt all day long, higher Hypertrophy work.
    Right now I'm in a hypertrophy phase so I tend to hurt all week with only 3 lifting days.
    Next week when I start the same phase but at 20% below max with proper rest between sets....probably wont get the DOMS as bad.

Have patience!
    It will happen in its time!

Compound movements are key!
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench/military press
    Rows
    Pull/chin ups

In that order.