How many calories per day? Again. Sorry :(

Options
I know this question gets asked every. single. day. But I am interested in some custom advice:
My BMR is 1900 or so, and my TDEE is something like 2300. I would guess I had about 100-115 lbs to lose initially, I'm down about 20 now after doing MFP for one month at the 2 lbs per week level, which gave me 1440 calories to start. This is the point where weight loss normally slows down a bit, and now after losing 20 lbs MFP puts me at 1370 for 2 lbs per week.

I burn about 200 calories walking each day and eat them back, although my next goal is to step that up and try at-home workouts.

My sister's wedding is in September and I'm already the unmarried slightly older sister, I'd prefer to not be the fat one as well. So at the bare minimum I'd like to lose an additional 30 lbs before then, but at the 2lb per week rate I could lose about 50 more lbs which would be awesome.

1. Will I inevitably slow down before September if I keep my calories at 1370?
2. Should I bite the bullet and eat my BMR, and if so would that mean faster weight loss, or slightly slower weight loss?

Long-term weight loss, being healthy and sustainability is more important to me than short-term weight loss, but my September deadline still remains and I'd like to do the best I can to lose before then. If eating higher calories means my metabolism is healthier and works better, but results in slightly slower weight loss, that would be okay with me.

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 in 4 months, heres how

Cardio 30 mins 6 days a wk, burn 370 to 400
    Weights 3 days a week
    1200 calories intake, net 600 to 700
    1 to 2 gallons of water per day

Follow this religously
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Which matters to you more, losing (for example) 50 pounds, or LOOKING like you lost 50 pounds?

You're right around the cutoff where you might be better with a weight loss goal of 1.5 pounds per week instead of 2 pounds per week.

Generally speaking... If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal (1000 calorie deficit). If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal (750 calorie deficit). If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal (500 calories). If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal (500-250). If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal (250).

When you have too large of a calorie deficit, you run the risk of losing a lot of your lean muscle mass as you lose weight. With a smaller deficit, you'll lose a larger percentage of body fat. When you lose the fat, but keep the muscle, your actual pounds lost might not be quite as impressive of a number, but you'll LOOK like you lost more.

Give yourself some fitness goals to strive for, too. Maybe look into the Couch to 5k plan to start running, or pick up a Jillian Michaels DVD to do at home. Walking is a great place to start, but your body is going to get used to it, and you'll need to amp it up a bit. Plus,it's good for your sense of accomplishment when you go from "I can't run for one minute straight" to "I just ran a mile!"

Also, be sure to track your progress in ways other than the scale. Take measurements, take pictures, and try on clothes regularly.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump..

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Which matters to you more, losing (for example) 50 pounds, or LOOKING like you lost 50 pounds?

You're right around the cutoff where you might be better with a weight loss goal of 1.5 pounds per week instead of 2 pounds per week.

Generally speaking... If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal (1000 calorie deficit). If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal (750 calorie deficit). If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal (500 calories). If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal (500-250). If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal (250).

When you have too large of a calorie deficit, you run the risk of losing a lot of your lean muscle mass as you lose weight. With a smaller deficit, you'll lose a larger percentage of body fat. When you lose the fat, but keep the muscle, your actual pounds lost might not be quite as impressive of a number, but you'll LOOK like you lost more.

Give yourself some fitness goals to strive for, too. Maybe look into the Couch to 5k plan to start running, or pick up a Jillian Michaels DVD to do at home. Walking is a great place to start, but your body is going to get used to it, and you'll need to amp it up a bit. Plus,it's good for your sense of accomplishment when you go from "I can't run for one minute straight" to "I just ran a mile!"

Also, be sure to track your progress in ways other than the scale. Take measurements, take pictures, and try on clothes regularly.

Looking nice in my bridesmaid dress would be #1 for me :)

I actually have the 30 day shred. I know it's better for toning once you're already near your goal, but I still like it. I used to work out a lot when I was a teenager (cardio kickboxing 4-5 times per week) and I didn't realize how well that kept me in shape until I stopped. I can do 8 minutes of level one (30DS) right now before my legs are like jelly and won't move anymore. I'd like to keep upping that and set little fitness goals for myself stamina-wise. I also have a kettlebell DVD I haven't tried out yet.

I also take measurements and bought a body fat scale so I could stay motivated if I don't lose actual weight. I just keep seeing people recommending eating your BMR, but maybe that's better for people who don't have as much to lose as me? I just know that historically when I've lost weight, this is about the time when it slows down and obviously it's near-impossible to lose 20 lbs per month like I did this month because of the initial water loss, but I'd like to keep going at a decent pace.

Maybe once I get down to 75 lbs to go I'll switch to 1.5 calories per week and slowly up my calories that way.