What keeps you guys from snacking on extra food?!

Options
Hey guys!
I do this thing where I randomly get tempted and start snacking on food.
This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the food I had already logged into my food diary.
For example, I'm only supposed to have an apple and pretzels for snack. I might catch myself eating some fruits or vegetables along with my normal snack, just because of my crazy appetite.
And what do you do to suppress your appetite?
I get full easily, but my appetites just rages on, so I end up eating, even though I'm full.
Gum helps, but not for long.
Help!

Replies

• kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Try herbal tea? It keeps you busy for long enough that by the time you're done brewing it up, letting it cool and drinking it, your snack urge can disappear. There are a lot of fun flavors, and if you get a cute mug (as silly as that sounds), it can be kind of fun. :)
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    extreme determination and will power. As you do this longer, and you get better at telling yourself 'NO'
    then it will be easy later on.
  • JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That sounds fun!
    Although I'm barely ever at home :/
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hot drinks definitely help keep me from snacking in the evenings. I have a cup of decaf every night after I put my kids to bed.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'll drink some water, or maybe coffee or tea, or just wait for 5 minutes.
    If I'm still hungry, I eat it and log it.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I cut my breakfast and/or lunch in half. Then eat the other half 2 hours later. I drink a lot of water and tea during the day.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    eating a good balanced diet and eating my calorie allowance, which does include some treats

What i found that did make me want to snack was having my weekly goal set higher than 1lb, meant my calorie intake was too low and my body craved food
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just avoid having temptations around.
    I don't buy oreos because I know i'm prone to eating them in one hit - not so much of a problem now that I'm at 'ideal' weight, but still.

As for fruit and healthy snacks - don't stress so much :smile:

Damn, now I'm hungry.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you're snacking on just fruits and veggies along with your normal snacks, I wouldn't worry about it very much. If you're really hungry and feeling the need to snack, maybe you're not getting enough calories. I try to eat filling foods with protein and whole grains so I feel fuller longer. I also drink lots of water.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Keep some calories left over for spontaneous snacking. There's nothing wrong with snacking as long as it can fit in your overall daily caloric count. Track everything.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Drink water & chew gum 24/7

When I do snack (which I try to have a morning and afternoon snack), I tru tp jave lots of calorie scarce snacks (vegetables and NOTHING processed like pretzels so my body has to work breaking them down) so I have alot physcially to snack on. Mostly I snack because I have an oral fixation, not because I am hungry.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've had to take allergy meds the last few days, and along with them making me a bit drowsy they also give me wicked munchies! It's been hard to not just give into them, and go raid the fridge..I know it sounds weird, but when it gets too rough i do 20 or so crunches, and about the same push ups. then i chug a bottle of water while i stand in front of my full length mirror, and remind myself why i don't need that extra snack.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    extreme determination and will power. As you do this longer, and you get better at telling yourself 'NO'
    then it will be easy later on.

I agree with this so much, we are such a YES culture. I think that is most of the problem.....
  • jkoe
    jkoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What helps me is drinking some flavored water, or chewing a piece of sugarless gum. (Both = Zero calories.) :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot keeps me from snacking. :indifferent:
  • breadguy
    breadguy Posts: 3
    Options
    I think that maybe I have just gotten used to being a little hungry most of the time. I only start to worry if I start snapping at people. One day I hit 5:30 and still had over 1000 calories to go. You just need to think about something else other than food and practice the willpower thing by getting used to the feeling of hunger. We all got to be a little overweight because we got used to doing whatever our body said rather than making our body do what we wanted. Just being on here has started us back on the taking control of our bodies.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I always have protein with my carbs ex. Apples with walnuts or string cheese. It keeps me fuller longer. I also have a measured out baggie of flavored almonds (dark cocoa ones are good) so I can grab a few here or there and I wont over eat.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Since I bring a certain amount of food with me to work each day, the only thing keeping me from eating extra food is not having extra food. However, everything is mostly pre-planned so I don't get many cravings.
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a full glass of cold water. If you are still caving a snack fresh veggies and nothing processed.