Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Long term success and exercise calories

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    more than 3 years.

Throughout that time I have never set my goal to be 1200 only. The lowest it has ever been was 1460. Currently around 1500-1600.

Always have eaten back exercise calories.

I lost steadily and consistently, I only experienced one plateau that lasted about 4 months, and when I increased my calories, I resumed losing.

My skin snapped back nicely and I have no urge for skin surgery, as I had feared.

I maintained the muscles I had under my fat layers, and now I'm really happy and proud of my results.
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Please help me understand this: Your saying if I work out and say I burn 900 cals that day, I can eat those 900 cals? I usually eat 1200-1300 cals a day and Im scared to eat the 900 cals I burned because I think I will gain weight, so sometimes I get a headache and go to bed hungry and wake up really hungry. Help me out becasue If i can eat those cals that I burned along with the regualr cals I eat then I may feel better, I have only been on this MFP since Jan 17 -2012 and I have lost 11lbs but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.? Thanks!

You can eat back exercise calories and still lose weight BUT this doesn't work for everyone because MFP calories burned estimate are sometimes too HIGH...so be sure you are really burning 900 calories before you eat them all back. Some people have good results eating 50-60% of their exercise calories back.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Could people may add start weight, weight lost and weight goals or something so we can see how successful the different methods have been?

I've been on MFP since mid january 2012
    I eat 1400 calories before excersize
    Genenerally I eat my excercise calories back (I do a little big of excersize each day to give me more to eat!) but on big excercise days I don't eat all of them - I keep them as a safety net for the weekend :laugh: So far though my predicted weight loss is 1lb but it's been more like 2lb - probably because i have so much to lose (start weight 210lb, goal weight 140lb)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? approx 100 days, 85 days consecutive logging
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? lost 17lbs at 1500-1600; currently taking a break at maintenance (~1900)
    Do you eat your exercise calories? yes
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    under 1200 is WAY too little.
    and YES you can eat your exercise calories. being full is a cop out - make smart choices - choose more calorie dense food.
    Thank you, I know this already. I'm gradually increasing my calories (when I started I was eating 2-3 times less so MFP is helping me :wink: )
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? 9 months
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1200
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Yes
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? Since Sept 2011 but I was at a different site from Jan 2010 - April 2011. Lost 65 lbs there. I do the same things here. I like the MFP app better for tracking which is why I jumped ship...

How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1650-1800

Do you eat your exercise calories? Most definitely but I tend to limit my eating back at 75% of calories recorded because I think the estimates might be a little high.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    under 1200 is WAY too little.
    and YES you can eat your exercise calories. being full is a cop out - make smart choices - choose more calorie dense food.
    Thank you, I know this already. I'm gradually increasing my calories (when I started I was eating 2-3 times less so MFP is helping me :wink: )

Wonderfull :)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    I joined sometime last summer/fall but have consistently been logging since January.
    Calories per day without exercise 1350-1450
    Yes, I eat back exercise calories.

I have lost 26 pounds with a goal of losing 40!
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? 80 days
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1300 for 0.5lb a week loss
    Do you eat your exercise calories? sort of.

I have my exercise calories after my Saturday gym (which are blown on wine!) and may eat into some of my exercise calories during the week. However, I don't count standard exercise, such as cleaning or walking to my car, etc. unless I have walked/ cleaned etc significantly more than normal. Also, when I clean for 5 hours on 1 afternoon, so significantly more than normal, I tend to put 2 hours of cleaning in because I know I would have lost some calories, but don't dare to rely on the generous amounts suggested on the site.

When I know I am going to over eat on a day, I generally try to compensate by 'exercising' more, like walking places in stead of taking the car.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Yes, definitely eat them back, but yes, you have to careful as MFP does often overestimate the amount of calories burned. However, keep in mind that 1200-1300 calories is quite low to start with, depending on your age, height, current weight and amount you exercise. I suggest you eat back at least 500 or half of your calories burned and you will see a greater weight loss and a happier body.

Please help me understand this: Your saying if I work out and say I burn 900 cals that day, I can eat those 900 cals? I usually eat 1200-1300 cals a day and Im scared to eat the 900 cals I burned because I think I will gain weight, so sometimes I get a headache and go to bed hungry and wake up really hungry. Help me out becasue If i can eat those cals that I burned along with the regualr cals I eat then I may feel better, I have only been on this MFP since Jan 17 -2012 and I have lost 11lbs but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.? Thanks!

You can eat back exercise calories and still lose weight BUT this doesn't work for everyone because MFP calories burned estimate are sometimes too HIGH...so be sure you are really burning 900 calories before you eat them all back. Some people have good results eating 50-60% of their exercise calories back.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    How long have you been on MFP?
    --A little over a year

How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories?
    --It varies - average about 1750 I think - anywhere from 1100 - 2000

Do you eat your exercise calories?
    --Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I go over some days and under some days. But on average I eat most of them. (I don't have a HRM or measure my food though so it's all pretty iffy anyway)

Goal met 11 months ago. Goal exceed and maintained for 7-8 months.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Could people may add start weight, weight lost and weight goals or something so we can see how successful the different methods have been?

Too late to edit my original entry but...

Height 5' 3.75"
    Starting Weight - October 28, 2010 - 186 lbs - 34.18% body fat (calipers)
    Lowest Weight - August 25, 2011 - 155 lbs - 24.36% body fat
    [insert 14 weeks of pregnancy] - gained 3.5 lbs
    [insert miscarriage & holiday season] - gained 5.5 lbs
    Created new MFP account
    Start over Weight - January 1, 2012 - 164 lbs - 26.18% body fat
    Current Weight - 160 lbs - 24.76% body fat

Lowest calorie intake on MFP, without exercise - 1320 (when first started)
    Average calories, without exercise - 1500 - 1600
    Eat exercise calories - He!!s to the Yes

Exercise - Walking, Elliptical, Yoga, Strength Training (heavy weights), Insanity, Turbofire, Parkour (Zombiefit.org), C25K.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? Almost a year
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1250-1300
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Sometimes as a buffer, but usuall no becuase I cheat on Friday and Saturday, so I look more at a weekly target than a daily target, so I use those exercise calories to make up for my cheat days. It's working for me.

I will eat more when I go to maintain, but right now this works for me, so I am not going to mess with it.

I started Mid April 2011 at 245 pds, I am currently at 174lbs and hope to get to 145/150 by the summer.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? 360 days
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1700 - 1800
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Hell yeah (Only about 50% when I was very obese) - now I have to if eat them all if I want any chance of losing weight

Lost 116lbs since Sept 2010
    Exercise 6 days a week - at least 3 days heavy lifting and then kickboxing, HIIT etc on the other 2 days
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Been on MFP about a year and a half. So far I'm down 102lbs. Eat 1590 cals before exercise. And yes I eat back every single calorie. I work out 6 days a week...mostly heavy lifting. I'm a recovering cardio addict...not because I love it but because I believed I needed a ginormous calorie deficit to lose.
    Seriously eat people...your body will thank you!!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    I've been here since May of 2009.
    I aim for about 1500 calories a day.
    I don't obsess about it, but I do usually eat at least part of my Exercise Calories back.
    I usually walk or work out 7 days a week.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? Just over a year (since Mar 2011)
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1800-1900 for decifit, 2100-2200 maintenance
    Do you eat your exercise calories? yep

I lost original 40lbs the first 18 times (gained it back 19 times) eating anywhere from 1200-1400 cals, then I saw the light. Thank GOD..

My new routine works just fine for me, and has for years now..

Eat.lift.eat.eat.eat.sleep.repeat
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,089 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? I think about 9 months.
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1800
    Do you eat your exercise calories? It depends....cardio calories = yes; weight-lifting calories = no
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    How long have you been on MFP? 180 days (I know my ticker is wrong because I missed a day in there)
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? I aim for 1500-1700.
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Hell yes!!!!!