Ladies who are using NRL4W

I have SOOOO many questions. Today was my first day. It was tough leaving the gym after 30 minutes or so. I felt like I should have done cardio or some more weights. BUT I left after I completed the 5 exercises.

1. I can not hold the barbell on my shoulder due to nerve damage and muscle atrophy. So I held a 40 lb dumbbell between my legs (vertically) and squatted. Is that an acceptable adaptation ?

2. I was not able to complete more than FIVE pushups. I am so weak. Although, I was able to do the seated row just fine. Is this normal?

3. I should not do cardio on the lifting days right? Is it ok to do interval jogging on non lifting days?

4. It is recommended I eat 2300 cals on lifting days and 2000 on non lifting days. Do you adhere by your counts? If not, how much do you cut? Is it working for you? Loss or gain of weight, please specify.

5. I really want to lose inches, burn fat, and lose weight will this do that?

THANK YOU!

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    I can't speak to all of the questions, but using a bell and squatting is not a bad idea, especially if you haven't lifted before as standard barbells are 45 pounds empty.
    It may be easier to get the "toes slightly out, knees follow toes, squat down between your legs" idea if you're holding a weight at chest level and sinking down. If you have kettle bells available you can do a "goblet squat" which may be less irritating to your wrists than holding a dumbbell vertically. Alternatively if you start to worry about grip on a vertical dumbbell, you can take two lighter dumbbells and hold them at about shoulder level, which may make balancing a bit easier.

Pushups can be difficult and the fact that a seated row was easier may be due to the fact that your pulling muscles (shoulders) are stronger than the chest for pushing. The gains will come.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Thanks I joined.
  • manic4titans
    I can't speak to all of the questions, but using a bell and squatting is not a bad idea, especially if you haven't lifted before as standard barbells are 45 pounds empty.
    It may be easier to get the "toes slightly out, knees follow toes, squat down between your legs" idea if you're holding a weight at chest level and sinking down. If you have kettle bells available you can do a "goblet squat" which may be less irritating to your wrists than holding a dumbbell vertically. Alternatively if you start to worry about grip on a vertical dumbbell, you can take two lighter dumbbells and hold them at about shoulder level, which may make balancing a bit easier.

Pushups can be difficult and the fact that a seated row was easier may be due to the fact that your pulling muscles (shoulders) are stronger than the chest for pushing. The gains will come.

It's better to hold the dumbbell at shoulder level than let it "dangle" between my legs during the squat? I hold the weight part like holding a plate . Is that acceptable or bad form?
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    How are you doing the push-ups? I do them at a slight incline, and I'm slowly dropping the incline with each work-out. I can manage only a couple when I'm fully on the ground. If you have a bench or something, I'd start with that for your push-ups.

I'm doing C25k on my off days, so I'm running MWF, lifting on TTS and resting on Sunday. I don't see anything wrong with a little cardio on your off days. Listen to your body, it'll tell you.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Ah, I think you're doing it differently than I imagined.
    ____
    | |
    | |
    | | <-- I thought you had both of your hands gripping here, overlapping
    | |
    |____|

I've done this before and found it hard on my wrists and to be a general pain in the butt. :) Form issues in squats are more to do with rounding the back or knees collapsing inward, less with hands.

** ETA CRAP my drawing didnt work. That was supposed to be a dumbell..
  • manic4titans
    Oh no, I wouldn't even try to hold it like that. LOL

OK, thanks for the info about poor form. definitely helps me out.
  • manic4titans
    How are you doing the push-ups? I do them at a slight incline, and I'm slowly dropping the incline with each work-out. I can manage only a couple when I'm fully on the ground. If you have a bench or something, I'd start with that for your push-ups.

I'm doing C25k on my off days, so I'm running MWF, lifting on TTS and resting on Sunday. I don't see anything wrong with a little cardio on your off days. Listen to your body, it'll tell you.

I am a little confused on how I would do a push up at an incline. Would you explain more please?
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    He explains in the book in the push-ups section. Basically, rather than starting with your feet and hands on the floor, you start with your feet on the floor and your hands on a step, or a bench or something. The higher your hands are, the more weight is transferred off your hands and onto your feet, and the easier it is. I'm currently using a low weight-lifting bench. One of those adjustable height aerobices steps would work well for you. Start higher, and then drop it down as you progress until you can do them "normally" with hands and feet on the ground.
  • manic4titans
    OK I get it :blushing: I feel a little stupid . LOL