Hot Yoga Question

Options
I have been doing hot yoga for about 2 weeks now, really enjoying it! :)

My question is, on MFP it says for 75 minutes I burn 190 calories. I know everyone is going to be diff depending on the heat/how much effort u put in during your class. I have also read that you can burn up to 500 calories.

Is 190 a safe # to use? or does anyone up the calories burnt?

ALSO, is yoga a good body toning exercise?

Thanks in advance :):)

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I based mine off of a couple diff people wearing HRMs during the class and adjusted it for myself. So my current MFP burn for a 90 minute hot yoga class is like 475 (although I know pretty much all estimates are a little high).

Yoga IS a good strengthening exercise, I know my muscles are screaming by the end of a class! You're not going to get the same effects you would from using weights, but I know plenty of people who don't use traditional weight training and stricly use yoga and pilates for their strength training. Different yoga practices are different in intensity level, but for me Hot Yoga (they're pretty much all Hatha) is a good work out. Now, a traditional non-heated hatha class is probably not too instense, but something like a Vinyasa flow class or Ashtanga are going to be more challenging.

I took a Hot Vinyasa class at my gym a few times, and OMG I was dying! Love it :)