HRM Question!

Options
I've been looking at getting a HRM and I noticed on Polar's website that they have different models for those who bike.

I'm kind of an "all around" gal. But, I enjoy biking as my "main" cardio workout. On days where outside biking is not an option, I tend to do a lot of cardio at the gym, including jogging and the elliptical.

So my question is, should I opt for one of their more "mainstream" model like the FT4 or should I get a specific cycling model?

From my understanding, the main difference is that the cycling models show how fast you're going. Which is neat but not necessary, because with some math (like distance traveled and how long it took you do it, etc), you can (usually) figure out your average speeds.

Advice, suggestions, experiences? :)

Replies

• bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Any ideas? :)
  • jayhomefitness
    jayhomefitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there isnt much of a difference. I would suggest finding one that has the strap to place around your torso because of the better efficiency... hope it helps a little. Have a great day...
  • jdp022
    jdp022 Posts: 11
    Options
    Me and my dad both have the polar FT7. He is into mountain biking and it works just fine for him. His bike has a computer to display his speed and it was pretty cheap. I guess it's really just personal preference, but you might want to check your gym equipment to see if they have any that sync to the machines. That's why I chose to buy a polar hrm. Hope this helps =)
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you were a competitive biker or even a casual racer I would think a bike specific HRM would be important, but otherwise I think you could go with any of the Polar HRMs.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOooove my ft4.:love: Found it for $62 + S&H on bodytronics.com.

But I also like numbers and measurable results, so a cycling one might be cool for you. It would depend to me how much more they cost.
  • hounds726
    hounds726 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm with the others. I just purchased the FT7 and love it. If you have a smart phone, there are free apps for the other things such as MPH, distance, etc and you can get a mount for your phone on your bike much cheaper than the increased price of the HRM specific to cycling. :)
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice, a regular HRM it is :D