C25K and running style

Options
Hello there, I'm getting ready to start on W2D1 of C25K today. I've been a runner in the past, and am restarting now that I'm looking to lose weight. I've done several 5Ks and a 10k (long in the past), and look forward to doing more when I get to the appropriate point. My question is this. In the past, I've been been a "heel-strike" kind of girl, aka my heel is the first part of my foot to touch the ground. But I've heard that it's better for your body, and more efficient, to have the ball of your foot be the first part of the foot to touch. Now that I'm basically relearning to run, I'm trying this new technique. Curious to hear from seasoned runners what their preference is, why, and any other pointers.

Thanks!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the chi running technique. Using the structure of your own foot to cushion the blow. Heel strikes are hard and jarring to your body. Landing further forward on your feet softens the blow considerably. I run so that my arches hit first. My BF has to land on the balls of his feet to not hurt the next day. Work on leaning forward and find the comfortable place for you!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33
    Options
    Good question! Unfortunately I don't have the answer. I had heard the same thing in the past, about heel first. When I bought my most recent pair of runnign shoes (in January) they siad that it was supposed to be the middle of your foot. That sounded a bit weird, so I'd like to hear what else is beind said out there.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the chi running technique. Using the structure of your own foot to cushion the blow. Heel strikes are hard and jarring to your body. Landing further forward on your feet softens the blow considerably. I run so that my arches hit first. My BF has to land on the balls of his feet to not hurt the next day. Work on leaning forward and find the comfortable place for you!

Great advice - I try not to heel strike. Sometimes, on longer runs, when I get tired, I feel myself doing that and work to make sure I'm keeping good form. Heel striking hurts and is really inefficient.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rasd
    Rasd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've always had difficulty when I tried to run in the past, between shin splints and foot pain. I would start and abandon couch to 5k frequently. I read Chi Running several years ago and did the mid-foot strike thing and was finally able to run without pain. I took a break when I got pregnant and am just getting back into it. good luck!
  • jessica05h
    Options
    I started off as a heel strike gal as well, and my knees are really hating me for it now. I bought some less cushioned shoes, which I've heard help you in learning to run as a midfoot or forefoot strike. I think it is helping me. I've increased my mileage per week and my knees hurt about the same (I think I am still perfecting my form, as I still find myself heel striking in some moments).

I also watched a few videos on chi running and this is the form I try to keep in mind when I'm out running.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I can address this question with a recent occurrence in my life. I had purchased the Merrell barefoot power glove running shoes because I was starting c25k and wanted to try the new style of running. Well, on the second day, I turned my ankle only slightly (I think because of the lack of support provided by the minimalist shoe) and had to stop, let the ankle heal, and it's only today that I've been able to start back. In the meantime I've done a lot of reading that I should have done to start with, and most everyone says to EASE into the 'barefoot running' technique (balls of feet). From now until I finish the program I am running in supportive shoes, and THEN I might try the other technique, but only easing into it, not jumping all in.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    You may want to read this. It explains the different ways to run.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    You may want to read this. It explains the different ways to run.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html

Thanks for posting. I was having a LOT of shin and knee pain when I was heel striking, and now have more calf burn landing midfoot. But it may just be that I wasn't landing with my feet under me, but WAY out in front when I was heel striking. So maybe if I just work on staying over my feet that may help. Oh who knows! Just do what works for you, I think is the moral of the story.

Good luck and Happy Running!