Really need to buckle down

Options
Just got some news from my obgyn. I have been having really heavy/ long menses and was told that most likely cause is obesity. So she wants me to lose 20% of my weight. which for me would be 53 lbs. I don't want to take years to do it either because the longer I go like this the higher chance is that I will develop endometrial cancer( Which my Mom had). I have an elliptical at home. I am not much of an exerciser any ideas on how to get started so that I do not quit after 2 days? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Look at the sucess story section on here! Thats what I do when Im feeling like I cant do it. And put your elliptical in front on the TV! Make lots of friends on here (feel free to add me). The first couple weeks are the hardest, once you get going it will become easier
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I just joined a Curves ( an all womens circuit gym) with a co-worker. I did not think it was going to be for me but it's only 30 minutes and very upbeat. It is very hard to get board because you move every 30 seconds. I have a treadmill at home and I hate working out at home. This feels like it's going to work for me! I need to lose 40lbs to be healthy. Good luck to you!
  • JenniferHndz
    Options
    Make excercising fun, get the kids involved. My kids love to play Dance Central and its good cardio for them and me :)

Feel free to add me, we can share motivation
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just joined a Curves ( an all womens circuit gym) with a co-worker. I did not think it was going to be for me but it's only 30 minutes and very upbeat. It is very hard to get board because you move every 30 seconds. I have a treadmill at home and I hate working out at home. This feels like it's going to work for me! I need to lose 40lbs to be healthy. Good luck to you!

I love Curves. I feel so comfortable there and everyone is so nice. I have been going for 6 months. I still want a treadmill though.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    start slowly. make small changes. start with 10 or 15 mins on the elliptical. The more you do, the more you CAN do. Understand that there will be good days & bad days- JUST LIKE YOU HAVE NOW. But overall, you are improving your health, your life & being a positive role model.

Good luck!
  • lilamc13
    lilamc13 Posts: 1
    Options
    watch fitness motivational videos on youtube they don't even have to be fitness focused motivational, they can be anything motivational every morning right before you workout! do it!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Me neither. I do not like cardio, so I do other things I enjoy. Gardening, walking the dogs, swimming, etc. And some strength training :) Could you get someone to walk with you? Good conversation makes the time fly by. And good nutrition will increase your energy and mood, making it more likely you will WANT to exercise.

Good luck! And don't forget to reach out here for support!
  • JenniferHndz
    Options
    start slowly. make small changes. start with 10 or 15 mins on the elliptical. The more you do, the more you CAN do. Understand that there will be good days & bad days- JUST LIKE YOU HAVE NOW. But overall, you are improving your health, your life & being a positive role model.

Good luck!

Very Well said :)
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I can understand how you feel. It's hard to hear from the doctors that you are your own roadblock. You have a goal though, and that's the first step. Be aware of what you're intaking, so you can see how it doesn't work for you. Make a plan and stick to it. When you fail, get right back up and go straight back to the plan. And get support support support. Meet new people that are right there with you and lean on each other.

You can do this!!!
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    By FAR, the biggest impact you can make with you health and weight will be changing what you eat. Please look into different ways on how to do this and choose one that you feel will work for you.

I would simply suggest ditching as much processed food as possible (including breads since bread is processed) and limiting natural sugars and starches (such as those in fruit and starchy vegetables such as white potatoes). If you do this, you will see incredible results in your health and how you feel.

Of course, some moderate exercise can help as well. I would suggest strength training over cardio if you had to pick one or the other. Remember, you can't "out-exercise" a bad diet for good health.

Best of luck to you!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I started on the elliptical I started with just 15 minutes. I'm now up to an hour. When you start seeing the scale move and the changes it will help inspire you. Unfortunately if you want to loose weight long term you have to have cardio workouts one way or another. I've since branched out to C25K, circuit training and some weights. Just keep moving!
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone I will certainly try to take into account all the advice. I know I can do it this time!
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have already started to get rid of processed food. I think a lot ofthe preservatives they use are giving me some problems. I think clean eating is so good for your body. Thanks!