Help with chest development

Options
I've been lifting to lose weight since October 2011. I was 261 then and today around 238. I hope to be under 200 again. I've had considerable gains in strength but I feel my chest develpment is lagging behind. My shoulders and arms are very firm while my chest is still mush. Is the common? . I work in cardio after each workout.

I changed my workout to this about a month ago.
Looks like this M-W-F

flat bench 5x5
incline bench 5x5
wide grip hammer strength. Gives a great pump. 5x5
peck deck 3x10
military press 5x5
DB back flies 3x10
triceps pull downs 3x10

T-Th
Squats 5x5
Leg Press 5x5
dead lift 5x5
seated row 5x5
lat pull down 5x5
shrugs 1x as many as I can
DB lateral raises 3x10
DB curls 3x10
Hammer curls 3x10

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting to lose weight since October 2011. I was 261 then and today around 238. I hope to be under 200 again. I've had considerable gains in strength but I feel my chest develpment is lagging behind. My shoulders and arms are very firm while my chest is still mush. Is the common? . I work in cardio after each workout.

I changed my workout to this about a month ago.
    Looks like this M-W-F

flat bench 5x5
    incline bench 5x5
    wide grip hammer strength. Gives a great pump. 5x5
    peck deck 3x10
    military press 5x5
    DB back flies 3x10
    triceps pull downs 3x10

T-Th
    Squats 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5
    dead lift 5x5
    seated row 5x5
    lat pull down 5x5
    shrugs 1x as many as I can
    DB lateral raises 3x10
    DB curls 3x10
    Hammer curls 3x10

Are you sure it is not a layer of fat making it look that way? Fat doesn't come off evenly, so it may be a matter of allowing your body fat % to go down more. Personally, I would ditch much of the isolation exercises and focus on squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bent over rows, and bench. I really like the Stronglifts 5x5 personally.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    drop the volume and up the intensity. lift heavy.

you're doing like 30 sets of chest excercises, and thats completely unneccessary.
    hit a compound lift heavy as hell, then pick a supplemental lift and do that.

At the most you should bench 2x per week. Personally I think you should do 1 day for bench, 1 for overhead, 1 for squats, 1 for deads, similar to the 5/3/1 layout. Works great and keeps you from overdoing it.