Options
    bump
  • jadashute08
    jadashute08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • msmindylee
    Options
    FYI, a substitution for cream-of-anything-soup would be to make your own bechamel or veloute' sauce, season/flavor it any way you like. Yes, it does include butter, but considering that it's spread out throughout the whole recipe, it's really not that much.

Basic bechamel is an equal number of tablespoons of butter (melted) and flour heated and whisked together, slowly whisk in one cup of dairy (I use 1% milk) for each tablespoon of butter (or flour). Once all your dairy is incorporated, bring the mixture to a light boil - don't let it go too far or it can boil over (a big mess!) or burn/scald (a nasty flavor). Once it comes to a boil, lower it to a simmer and season it with salt, pepper (some purists say white pepper only, but I don't care if there are black pepper speckles in my sauce), and whatever herbs you like (I suggest tarragon, thyme, herbes de provence - or none of the above and keep it simple). Stir constantly with a wire whisk, and when it thickens to the point you want it, it's done!

Veloute' is exactly the same technique, using broth (chicken, veggie, beef, fish, whatever flavor you like) instead of dairy.

By the way, the bechamel - with the butter! - is basically what cream soups are made of anyway, so it's not like the recipe with the butter is any worse for you than the canned soup would be. In fact, the homemade sauce is better because you can control the sodium level and it also won't have any additives you can't pronounce in it.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yum thanks for sharing!
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    bump
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    That looks delish!

Any ideas on what I could use instead of cream of Mushroom soup? I dislike cream of anything soups...lol

I was thinking the same thing about the MUSHROOMS...Can the mayo be substituted for cream cheese?
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    save
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    FYI, a substitution for cream-of-anything-soup would be to make your own bechamel or veloute' sauce, season/flavor it any way you like. Yes, it does include butter, but considering that it's spread out throughout the whole recipe, it's really not that much.

Basic bechamel is an equal number of tablespoons of butter (melted) and flour heated and whisked together, slowly whisk in one cup of dairy (I use 1% milk) for each tablespoon of butter (or flour). Once all your dairy is incorporated, bring the mixture to a light boil - don't let it go too far or it can boil over (a big mess!) or burn/scald (a nasty flavor). Once it comes to a boil, lower it to a simmer and season it with salt, pepper (some purists say white pepper only, but I don't care if there are black pepper speckles in my sauce), and whatever herbs you like (I suggest tarragon, thyme, herbes de provence - or none of the above and keep it simple). Stir constantly with a wire whisk, and when it thickens to the point you want it, it's done!

Veloute' is exactly the same technique, using broth (chicken, veggie, beef, fish, whatever flavor you like) instead of dairy.

By the way, the bechamel - with the butter! - is basically what cream soups are made of anyway, so it's not like the recipe with the butter is any worse for you than the canned soup would be. In fact, the homemade sauce is better because you can control the sodium level and it also won't have any additives you can't pronounce in it.

THANKS!
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks
  • msmindylee
    Options
    MMarvelous - you're welcome!

Just to clarify:
    1 tbsp butter, 1tbsp flour, 1 cup dairy or broth (makes about a cup)
    2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 2 cups dairy or broth
    3 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour, 3 cups dairy/broth
    etc., etc., etc.... just depends how much sauce you need

I wonder if the light butter/olive oil stuff would work? No idea, but maybe I'll try that the next time...
  • kwjmom
    kwjmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks and bump
  • stephanie1187
    Options
    bump!
  • nyla23608
    nyla23608 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AKosky585