Need help on food

Options
When I am watching my food numbers, I am usually good at staying within my calories, but I tend to go over on the cholesterol department. I am not a very good cook - although I am slowly getting better, and my husband and children do NOT need to be on any type of diet, if anything, everything I need to avoid, they need MORE of (both my children are just like their father and step father... seriously skinny, both guys are 5'8" 5'9" and never weighed more than 135 pounds without a serious weight gaining program - and promptly lost it six weeks later after stopping the program, so both my kids were very underweight for their height as babies, although healthy), so I am kinda stuck. I am thinking I am going to have to start cooking separate meals for me and the rest of my family, but I still have the problem of staying within one number puts me in bad with the others.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My family is the same way. What I started doing was having smaller portions of what a cook for them and have a large side salad with every meal. I change up what is in my salad, type of lettuce, spinach and such and we all get to sit down and eat.

Good luck.
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I htink smaller portion sizes would do good for you, but there also many healthy meals you can make for you and your family. This way, you're not taking care of yourself while feeding your family bad food, know what I mean? If they need to gain weight, they can do it by eating healthy food, just more of it, hehehe.

I have, on occasion, made my own seperate meals simply b/c even a smaller portion was too big for me...pasta dishes for instance.
  • traska
    traska Posts: 18
    Options
    When my husband was gone for over a yr. I lost wt., had no problem with keeping under my calorie limit but when he got back home that is when the red meat starting pouring in and tons of garbage food . Now, I am out of control and having a hard time getting back on track. So I do understand what you are going through. He works long hours so I eat ahead of him and can eat what works best for my diet. I try to fix things we both eat but less fat and sneak in the ground turkey for burgers, meat loaf etc.
  • traska
    traska Posts: 18
    Options
    When my husband was gone for over a yr. I lost wt., had no problem with keeping under my calorie limit but when he got back home that is when the red meat starting pouring in and tons of garbage food . Now, I am out of control and having a hard time getting back on track. So I do understand what you are going through. He works long hours so I eat ahead of him and can eat what works best for my diet. I try to fix things we both eat but less fat and sneak in the ground turkey for burgers, meat loaf etc.
  • alaskancoppertop
    Options
    I did that when my ex was deployed... switched to wheat bread, started drinking skim milk (my ex refuses to drink anything but whole, my husband will accept 2% so that I can buy two kinds of milk instead of three... son gets soy, no one else can stand it in my house), stuff like that, I was able to keep the wheat bread going, but had to switch back to whole milk when he got back from Iraq. With my new husband, he is all good to go on Wheat bread, 2%, more veggies in the meal and he LOVES seafood just as much as the cows (he loves him some steak, too), so when we have money, we will load up on fish, but he loves his red meat and is NEVER full! But I have a hard time with the cooking because we have such a low budget for food ($300-$500 a month for food, gas, phone and car insurance for a household of 4... he got raped on child support) and I never know if he is going to be home in time for a family dinner or not - some nights he is home by 5:15, others 6:30, some not til after 7:00... sometimes the Army sucks!!
  • beauplr
    beauplr Posts: 11
    Options
    alaskancoppertop,

You sound like your on the right track and I agree with the previous comment about portion control. You can cook the meals and then calculate what you should have. When my husband needs his beefy meals, I bring my digital scale right to the table and weigh my portions.

I am also feeding a 6"5' twenty-year-old son who is not a skinny guy. I plan extra veggies for every meal. Instead on a one side, veggies become the stars and the meat, potatoes, rice or pasta the supporting cast. This way I now have the family eating a vegetarian meal two to three times a week.

Search the web for recipes and try new things. With my guys I have found the if I give then something very flavorful with a wee bit of meat protein they are more satisfied than they when the eat a plain cut of meat. This has been very helpful in reducing our budget for meat and is much healthier.

And on the timing of meals, as the wife of a prior service member who still works a job where an emergency can keep him at work until solved, I have found slow cooked dished, sauces that can be reheated and added at the last minute, and learning how to re-heat without over cooking to be a blessing. If need be, I can pop my husband's meal back in a non-stick pan and give it a bit of heat when he gets home.

Good luck. And by the way... my favorite non vegan/vegetarian food site is www.epicurious.com
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a great cook to enjoy these few recipes. I hope they help. They are delicious and who knows. . .maybe hubby and kids will like them too.

All-Wrapped-Up Salad
    Makes: 2 servings
    Prep: 20 minutes
    Chill: and serve

248 Calories

Ingredients
    • 2 8-inch whole grain, whole wheat, or flour tortillas
    • 3/4 cup shredded romaine and/or fresh spinach
    • 1/2 of an avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
    • 1/4 of a cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
    • 1 ounce Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, shredded (1/4 cup)
    • salsa (optional)

Directions
    On each tortilla, layer romaine, avocado, cucumber, and cheese. Roll up tightly. If desired, halve tortillas diagonally. Wrap each tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 6 hours.
    If desired, serve with salsa.

Lemon Pork Stir-Fry

180 Calories

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
    • 1 12-oz pork tenderloin , halved lengthwise, cut crosswise in 1/4-in.-thick slices
    • 2 tsp oil
    • 12 oz baby bok choy, quartered crosswise
    • 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
    • 1 cup shredded carrots
    • 2 Tbsp each stir-fry sauce and water
    • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
    • 1 Tbsp lemon juice

PREPARATION
    1. Sprinkle cornstarch over pork; toss until coated. Heat 1 1/2 tsp of the oil in a large nonstick skillet . Add pork; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through. Remove.

2. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add bok choy, pepper and carrots; stir-fry 4 minutes until crisp-tender.

3. Add pork and remaining ingredients; toss until hot.