Stones, logs, tires, etc...the fun stuff

Options
I thought we could use some variation on exercises from the usual DVD's and cardio stuff around here. Who trains with atlas stones or any other strongman type of stuff? Any odd object sort of things. How do you work it in with everything else? What do you recommend to others?

I'm doing tires, stones, log press and plan on getting a prowler sled here soon. Mixes things up and makes it fun.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of that stuff. Training for a strongman comp this fall.

Haven't gotten a log yet, but picked up a neutral grip bar to simulate it the best I can. I work it in with my overhead day.
    Prowler is great and if you have one, work it in with any lower body day.

I'd really reccommend looking into Wendler's 5/3/1. That's what I'm doing and it seems like strongman training fits in nicely with the layout for me. My typical week:

Monday: Bench press, incline/overhead, pullups
    Tuesday: Squats, light deads, sled drags (prowler push in your case) for conditioning
    Thursday: Overhead (log press), pullups, farmer's walk
    Saturday: Deadlifts, light squats, any event training here. I switch between tire flips, stone loads, and keg carries/medleys

The way the program it set up, you can pretty much push the prowler whenever (wouldn't reccommend it the day before deads or squats). And events go great with deads. I'll pull deads and ditch all assistance work sometimes and just focus on a couple events.