Machine Hoppers Anonymous??

Options
Ok I just want to know if I'm one of many or just plain old crazy.

I usually opt for a circuit or hop from one machine to the next every 10 minutes or so. I absolutely hate sitting still, and have a short attention span. After 10 minutes on the same machine, I feel like I'm being closed in on... I know... crazy right?!

Does anyone else find it a bit boring to use the same machine for extended amounts of time??? :grumble:

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone use the same machine for an extended period of time? Are you talking about cardio machines where you want to get in a solid 30 mins. or more. If you're talking weight machines, most sets of reps would take less than 10 minutes anyway.
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you are talking cardio machines, then I know what you mean. I often get on one, feel like I've been on it forever, then look at the timer and only 2 minutes have passed. I usually walk to and from my gym to get the cardio in that way, and mainly work on the weight machines.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    cardio machine really. I just can't do more than 10 minutes at a time without being completely bored.
  • secretiive
    Options
    If you are talking cardio machines, then I know what you mean. I often get on one, feel like I've been on it forever, then look at the timer and only 2 minutes have passed. I usually walk to and from my gym to get the cardio in that way, and mainly work on the weight machines.

wow never considered that!! great idea :-)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

wow never considered that!! great idea :-)

Don't use machines. But if I'm hogging the Power Rack for squats or I'm benching on my favorite bench then no I don't care because I work hard the entire time. :)
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym so I am the same way. 5 mintes here, 10 mintes there. But i'm really only there for the weights so I pull off the cardio machines are "Warm up"
  • secretiive
    Options
    :noway: *sigh* maybe one day I'll get to the point that I don't need the cardio machines much. Until then I guess I'l be hopping. Thanks for the input yall :glasses:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    :noway: *sigh* maybe one day I'll get to the point that I don't need the cardio machines much. Until then I guess I'l be hopping. Thanks for the input yall :glasses:

Oh, if you're talking cardio. I kinda' feel like an hour is good. If you need it longer than an hour, go outside with a bike or jog. LOL
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You're probably doing yourself more of a disservice by doing that than anything. You're not going to be able to get your heart rate elevated and definitely not sustained at all in those brief periods of time. I stream movies and tv shows to my phone to keep me engaged on the machines.

Or try mixing up what you're doing on the machine. Avoid steady state and go for intervals or varied programs to keep things interesting.

I also just like some more than others. Hate the bike, dislike elliptical, not crazy about a stepper, but love ARC trainers and treadmills. Five minutes on a bike feels like torture an 50 minutes on an ARC passes in no time at all. So maybe just invest some time in experimenting in what will keep your interest.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I stream movies and tv shows to my phone to keep me engaged on the machines.

this! I can't get to a gym (kids and naps), so we picked out one single cardio for the basement (elliptical), and then got netflix streaming for our Wii. Only way i get through it. i'm watching all of Psych now :-) I try to work out for at least a full episode (40 min)