Idea's Anyone?

onfleur
onfleur Posts: 159 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Four days into my health quest and am still smiling. That in and of itself is success for me anyway, I need some idea's for exercise, I have a bad back and bad knees. I am doing some walking but find that after about 1 mile I am done. Going to the gym really doesn't help because of my back issues. Does anyone have any bright ideas for this newbie?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Bike and Swim. Both are low impact exercises. If you go to a bike shop they can fit you with a frame that sits you upright so that it won't hurt your back. From knee surgery, biking is what got me back on the road. I have also done a lot of swimming too. Low impact but good cardio.

Hope this helps.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Four days into my health quest and am still smiling. That in and of itself is success for me anyway, I need some idea's for exercise, I have a bad back and bad knees. I am doing some walking but find that after about 1 mile I am done. Going to the gym really doesn't help because of my back issues. Does anyone have any bright ideas for this newbie?

I ALSO have a bad back and bad knees, so I know just what you're talking about. I've had both knee and back injections over the years.
    I found the elliptical hurt my knees, and I'm too "frugal" (ok, CHEAP!) to go to a gym. So, for my exercise, I take a walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) and I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored. And best of all, it doesn't seem to be TOO strenuous on my back and knees! I still pop the ibuprofen, but, over all, with most of the weight off now, my back and knees are MUCH better than they used to be! :happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")

Wait...those are oldies? Damn ..they are all from my younger years. I hope that doesn't mean I'm an oldie!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    And in answer to the back & knees...by all means swimming. There is mush less stress on your joints because you float
This discussion has been closed.