Camping Suggestions

Options
My DH and I are leaving for a camping trip on Wed. we will be getting back on Sat. I am looking for healthy eating suggestions. We are camping in a tent, so we just have the very basics. I think I will be getting some turkey hot dogs and turkey/veggie burgers. But everything else I can think of that is a normal "camping food" is not so great for you. What are your suggestions?

Replies

• alaskancoppertop
    Options
    Trail mix... you can make your own trail mix so you are including healthy stuff, like raisins. Granola is good, too. And keep in mind, camping will burn more calories. Depending on what equipment you take with you, you can also cook soup, grill chicken breasts (my ex brings his coleman stove or a grill thing to toss over the bonfire), I like to bring cheese if I have something to keep it cool... I usually bring a huge cooler full of ice and food, otherwise I bring a small squishy lunchbox (insulated type) with a couple small ice packs to keep some string cheese from spoiling.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You can roast vegetables or sweet potatoes in foil packets over a campfire. This is one of the treats I used to enjoy. I seem to remember the sweet potatoes taking about 45 minutes or so, but it's been a while. . .

Also, I always do a lot of hiking while camping, so if you do that you'll need "exercise calories".:flowerforyou:
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    I like to cook meals ahead of time (like casseroles that are healthy), put them in plastic containers (just enough to serve you), then when ready to eat, reheat in a pan on the fire. It won't be pretty but it will taste the same and you know exactly what you're taking in ;)
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I go camping a lot during the summer, so much fun :smile: I always plan what I'm eating ahead of time. Sometimes I cook the meals ahead of time. I usually make oatmeal bars for snacks ahead of time too:
    2/3 cup applesauce
    1/2 cup splenda
    2 eggs
    4 cups old fashioned oats
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    a piece of fresh fruit(apple, banana, raisin)or all
    Mix together, bake about 30 min at 350*

Random list of foods I bring with me:
    eggs
    oatmeal
    cheerios
    milk
    bananas
    tea bags
    cantaloupe
    apples
    potatoes and/or sweet potatoes
    tortillas wraps
    salsa
    onions
    green peppers
    tomatoes
    head of lettuce
    pb and j
    loaf of bread/buns
    minute rice
    pasta salad (made ahead of time)
    veggie hotdogs
    veggie burgers
    low cal crackers
    baked chips
    popcorn
    sunflower seeds

stuff like that...easy foods to bring along as well as the prepared stuff i made ahead of time.

Hope that helps.:flowerforyou:
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, when I go camping, I HAVE to have hot dogs (I know, but it's nostalgic). I get the Hebrew National 97% fat free beef brand - they are less than 50 calories. Paired with a whole wheat bun and it's not that bad if you want to indulge in one!

I also go with pre-prepped fruit (I cut it up at home - some I blend up and freeze in ice cube trays to add to water) and veggies with hummus.

211031.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter