Medical Transcriptionist

Options
Does anyone do this for a living? I normally work a part time job, although I have been laid off and on unemployment since March. I know that I am going back in June. But I was think as a supplement and to help us (my DH has been laid off too) get on our feet, I could look into doing this. From what I here, it's good for working from home and being flexible. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    There are a few MT's among us (sorry I can't remember their names).

I did a MT test online, and could barely hear the doctor mumbling. They talk really fast and it takes a lot of practice and training to be able to hear it all and get your work correct. Even with a solid background in medical terminology like I have, learning this profession can be a real challenge. MT's are paid by the line, and some by the page. Make no mistake, this is not something you learn in 6 months, or even a year. A good program is 18 months to 2 years long. You must be committed to the process of becoming astute at hearing doctors dictate with mouths full of food, background noise, interruptions, long pauses, and especially talking very fast; Doctors are charged by the minute to dictate their findings, so the faster they talk, the more money they save on the dictation service. Otherwise, it can be a very financially rewarding career. Good luck.
  • MaggieWaggy
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but in short, transcription is not going to get you through this particular financial slump. I am a professional transcriptionist and have been for many years. Getting started in transcription is nowhere near as easy as those ads we've all seen would have you believe.

You will have to have a good grasp of grammar (i.e. knowing when to use the word "hear" and when to use the word "here"), spelling and punctuation to be good at transcription, and you will have to have an ear for it, as well as the mental/physical coordination necessary to hear, interpret, think and type and chew gum at the same time - and I know that sounds sarcastic, but it's the truth. You need the self-discipline to sit your behind in a chair and type, even when your favorite program is on television and the kids need help with homework and dinner's not cooked, because turning in work past deadline is the fastest way back to unemployment. You have to have the self-discipline to proof your work to audio - that means listening to the tape again as you read what you typed to find mistakes. It's boring as hell, but has to be done.

You need training in medical terminology and how to type medical reports. Most places will not hire you unless you have documented experience, or have completed a transcription training program of some kind. Certainly I would not hire you without relevant experience and at least three references.

I feel your pain on the being laid off front; hope you and your hubby can get back to work soon.
  • amyshort
    amyshort Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been a medical transcriptionist for 7 years. I completely agree with Maggie's response. Medical transcription is not what most people think. It takes about 2 years of training/education/experience before you are really ready to work at home for an acute care hospital. It is a very intense job and can sometimes be very frustrating trying to understand what the doctors are saying sometimes, whether it be a thick foreign accent or somebody who just mumbles when they dictate. If it is something that you really do want to pursue as a career, I suggest taking a course at your local community college or an on-line course. A good place to start would be doing transcription for a small doctor's office where you only have a few doctors dictating so you can get used to transcribing and learning the terminology. Most hospitals and contract companies want a minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience. It is a tough industry to break into, but it can be done.....you just have to work really hard. I wish you the best!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I've been a transcriptionist for 15 years, I currently work at a hospital, been there 10 years. I'm forunate in that all the radiologist are easy to understand, no foreign accents. But the medical part is what one must have a firm understanding of.

all the feedback i've had from several online services is that they're difficult to work for. Very demanding of your schedule and you can't count on good communication with these companies. I've thought of working at home, but after 8-10 hours of it, i don't want to come home and do more. it can be very tedious.

another issue is that most hospitals are now going voice recognition and these jobs are going to be phased out in the future whether the m.d. like it or not. it's all about the money.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I awlays wanted to bae a medical transcatiptionish. Its just one ofthose jobs that I thought I'd be areadlly good at.