Possibly a stupid question... low sugared fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be overly concerned about the sugars in fruit unless you are diabetic or are doing low carb. If you feel you are eating too much fruit try veggies. Even sweeter veggies like carrots aren't that full of sugar.

I'm diabetic and have been really watching my carbs. I have to say that I have never really like celery. I have always eaten a lot of veggies but not celery. I didn't mind a little in some soup or something but that was never the thing I would eat on a veggie tray. Since I have to watch my carrot intake now I have learned to appreciate celery. I eat it with hummus or peanut butter or dip made with Greek yogurt. I figure if I can learn to like celery then most anyone can.

(shudders) Celery is the most vile vegatable on the planet. My hats off to you for learning to like it!
  • aye28yveni
    Options
    I've heard that bananas are high in natural sugar, so eating half would be fine. And that's for all fruit high in natural sugar.:smile:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    hmmm not sure but interesting if berries are lower in sugar - I love berries!

Stick with fresh whole fruits and you'll be fine. Once they are put into juices they lose all that's good about them and then you get added sugars.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    On an average we are to eat 7 servings of fruits and vegetables, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables are the best way to go. But you still need to eat them with in moderation just because they are good for you, doesn’t mean you need to engulf yourself in them.

Banana’s are a good source for eating before working out, however they can also cause your feet to swell. Just eat with in moderation if you are not a diabetic or on the verge of becoming one I wouldn’t let it get you down too much. If you are extremely upset over it and think you need to cut them out completely I would suggest talking to a dietician some grocery stores offer free classes every so many weeks for people who have issues. You could call them or contact your doctor. Good luck to you!!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Berries, in general.

Is there a [medical] reason why you are watching sugar, specifically?

Nah, I am just worried I am having too much?

Since sugars are the simplest forms of carbohydrates, I'd actually pay attention to that macronutrient. But that's just my opinion.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    most of the berries that are antioxidants (blueberries, blackberries)... ones i know that are HIGH, so avoid these (don't really avoid them - just monitor them if you're watching your sugar intake): strawberries, kiwi, bananas
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    People, stop being afraid of fruit!

Fruit cannot make you fat, its all the other junk you eat with it. It is one of the most natural foods on Earth and is packed with benefits - vitimans, antioxidants, fibre, it even has a high protein percentage considering it is deemed a 'carb'.

Type in FRUITARIAN or FREELEE into youtube, or check out 30bananasaday.com if you're afraid of getting fat from a few bananas :wink: Simply impossible. Cut out the processed sugars which have NO nutritional benefit.

X
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Oh.... and there's no such thing as a stupid question :)
    Oh yes there is. Although I wouldn't consider this to be one of them.

That said, unless you have a specific health problem that requires monitoring sugar intake, I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar from fruit.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hunger-Pangs-Final2.png
  • ka3343
    ka3343 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm sorry but I think cutting bananas out of anyone's diet because of sugar is just silly. Bananas and all other fruits are great as long as they fit into your daily calorie target.

I have never had them in my diet because I don't like bananas lol
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    I read in a nutrition book once that although fruits like apples are high in "natural" sugar, apples in particular also have equally high amounts of fiber. Supposedly fiber helps your body digest sugar at a steadier rate so even though you got a big dose of sugars the fiber helps your body deal with it. I am NOT any sort of expert, I just read this in a nutrition book a while back while on my journey of trying to learn more about being healthy. Anyways, if you are worried about how much sugar you are eating from fruit you might want to also check how much fiber you are getting.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I am not sure if all fruits, like apples, have high fiber content. I would be interested to know.

The reason I was reading this post is because I too was noticing my sugar intake was high. I figured out the bulk comes from eating 1 apple and 6 oz of carrots a day which is approximately 27g sugar (my recommended intake is 28g). So anything else I eat that may only have 2-3g sugar, starts to add up and I have been ending up with 20-30g over my goal. I look forward to getting other people's input.

Mainly I wanted to know if I should swap out my apple for a cup of rasberries a day (but I am reluctant because rasberries are astronomically more expensive especially if I have 1 cup EVERY day!)