Eating Out

Options
2»

Replies

• lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Going to restaurants are challenging. You mentioned Applebee's....they have the Weight Watcher menu. I'd check that out. One of my favorite restaurants is Cheesecake Factory...they have this fabulous skinnylious menu with over 50 items to choose from. I ate an amazing flat bread there this past weekend for only 450 calories.

Buffets can be good...scan the bar first. Find the steamed veggies, lean steaks, baked potatoes, salad bars, etc. You can eat healthy at a buffet just be choosy and stay clear away from the dessert bar.
    How can you make it out of there without a piece of cheesecake?!? :tongue: You must have a lot if self control
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but if I go out to dinner one day out of a week or two, I order what I want. Once a week I think its ok to have anything u want. I tend to like healthier things now anyway.. but i get fries if I want, or even Alfredo!
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yes, do online research first. Even Famous Daves has an under 500 calorie option. It contains lean protein, grilled pineapple and veg. It was very good. At any restaurant, you could request a carry out box right away and save half of your meal for tomorrows lunch, or bring your own to-go container. Around here, there are a lot of seniors and they do it all the time. Speaking of seniors, I think Perkins allows 'people with light appetites' to order off the senior menu. Those meals are smaller, as well as cheaper. And they often offer low salt, low fat options on the senior menu. So, check the senior menu section to see if you could use it. The children's menu might be an option for carry out. McD's now has a kiddy meal with about 10 fries and a packet of plain apple slices for a side, and you can get coffee or tea with it. It satisfies a craving for fast food without the enormous calorie hit. A lot of coffee shop places have a heart healthy item on the menu. But educate yourself about which foods only SOUND healthy. Some places offer a 'diet plate' which contains a big ground meat patty, scoop of full fat cottage cheese, and canned fruit. Might not be what you were looking for LOL!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sodium levels at restaurants are killer especially on traditional diet fares like salads (particularly the dressings). Appleby's has several "weight watcher" entrees that are 550 calories - but over 3000mg of sodium! Even if you're under 40, that's more sodium than you need in an entire day and is enough for some serious water retention.

I find it better to look for something like grilled chicken and ask them to hold the sauce or cheese or whatever fattening goo they feel the need to heap on. I've been pleasantly surprised with how wonderful some restaurants are able to make food when stripped of sauces and cheeses (Carraba's is one of those).
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do my research before getting to the restaurant...but the foods I thought were better for you I am finding out are not. I'm better off having a steak than a salad! I was looking at Applebys since that is where we are supposed to go tomorrow...and I could not believe the calories and sodium levels.

There's nothing wrong with sodium. People are simply ignorant and therefore condemn it without actually knowing anything.

Besides, how often do you go out? Go out and enjoy yourself a bit. In the grand scheme of things, one day doesn't make a huge difference. I usually counteract this by simply finding something that I'll enjoy and make it fit my macronutrients. Simple. Healthy, unhealthy, those are moot things to thing about in the context of a single day. One day does not make you unhealthy and to think otherwise is illogical at best.

If I go out, I get what best fits my calories and macronutrients. I couldn't care less if it was deep fried cheesecake or not, as long as it fits and I enjoy it then I eat. I have no idea why people go out to a restaurant and get some "healthy," low-calorie meal that is stupidly expensive. It's nonsensical and it usually tastes like crap.

P.S. Best chain restaurant I love going to is The Keg. I'm a high protein kind of guy, so it's awesome.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I honestly have never been bothered by eating out. It's almost a game to find out the great things that you can have for lower cals or the restaurants with the most healthy choices. I eat out several times a week and have since I started trying to lose weight until now at a healthy weight. I think the key is knowing what you're going to order before you get there and try not to stray from that decision. Try to decide if the occasion is one where you're ok with splurging or where you just are there to eat a quick, low cal meal and be done with it. My most visited places are Ruby Tuesdays(healthiest options in my opinion), Chilis, Extreme Pita, Qdoba, Red Lobster, Applebee's, KFC, etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I had a jalapeno lime shrimp dish from Applebees recently, it was under 500 and delish. I'm not a big Applebee's fan but they have a whole Weight Watchers menu. Do you have a BJ's Brewhouse in your are? They carry under 500 menu that us great. Do you like Sushi? Vietnemese? Both healthy and yummy! (depending on what you order)

I second the jalapeno lime shrimp from Applebees being delicious. Guess I better check out BJs again too!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Or u can order what u like and immediately have them doggie bag half of it.......:)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i don't really stress about eating out. if i know we're going out i look up the restaurant's menu online like many have suggested and take my pick (not always the low calorie options either)... if it puts me over budget, i just add a little to my workout and go for it. i, personally, cannot say "THIS IS FORBIDDEN" or it's all i will want and i'd never lose a pound.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump

Why are you bumping? So we can see more horrible answers from people who constantly live in fear of food and gaining weight and, as a result, live a life thinking a single day will kill them?
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Yeah, I order whatever I want and just dont eat all of it., the bonus is you get two yummy yums meals! (or sometimes a meal and a snack.) Boo ya!
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    appetizers are ok I think as long as you dont get like a whole fried onion. Maybe like Outback's Tuna tartare or something like that. Have fish but ask for no oil/butter - stay away from fried,cheesy foods. This is kind of the rule of thumb I go by. Maybe just have soup /and or salad but ask for low fat or fat free dressing.