question about logging food

Options
I log every bite, and make sure it's applied to the actual meal I ate it at. My son just adds up a whole day's worth of food and enters it all at once. For example, say he has a cup of milk at breakfast, another cup at lunch and another at dinner. Instead of reporting each cup at each meal, he'll just put in 3 cups in one entry. He does this with all foods.

I told him I thought it was better that he log it the way he eats so that he can better understand his eating habits. This doesn't really convince him.

Am I wrong? Should I leave him alone? LOL

If I'm right, how can I convince him?

Replies

• Minimooshable
    Options
    Well, everyone is different so it may be that seeing the total amount is more helpful to him, whereas to you seeing it spread out is better. I think for me, I'm more liek you in that I want to see when I eat what I eat, as that's part of my 'rehabilitation' from the binging, junk lifestyle. I need to understand the 'why' as much as the 'how much'.

If it's working for him, if he has different issues, maybe best to just leave him to it?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Everyone does things in their own way. The only way this is going to work is if you personalize it to fit your lifestyle and needs. Let him do the same.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'd leave him to it. At least he is logging =)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Goodness, let him log however he feels like.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The thing is, he's only been logging for 2 days, so he hasn't had time to know what's "working" for him. I just want him to get off on the right foot. But thanks for the feedback :)
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    For me, if he's a younger little guy I'd instruct him how to long every meal. If he's a little older (teen), I'd probably leave him alone.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you should just allow him to log however he wants. If his way is easier for him, then he will be more likely to stick to it. As long as he is logging his food, it shouldn't matter whether or not he is organizing it "correctly"
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth (and that is probably overpriced)... let him log his way, and you keep a litte journal with what he ate at which meal. You don't have to be as specific since it is in log. Then, since he is new to the program, wait a week or so and see how he is doing.
    If his way is working for him, let him be; however, if he way doesn't work, you have a back-up for him and he has learned a lesson.