What are your views on Whey protein powder?

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
Just curious what peoples views are on drinking whey protein powder during a workout? Is it really worth it? The label says not to use for weight reduction, and I'm wanting to both lose weight and build muscle. Any input?

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about drinking whey protein DURING the actual workout or using the protein in conjunction with your workout?

I wouldn't drink protein while you're working out but I'm a big fan of several (2-3) protein shakes throughout the day as a meal replacement.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about drinking whey protein DURING the actual workout or using the protein in conjunction with your workout?

I wouldn't drink protein while you're working out but I'm a big fan of several (2-3) protein shakes throughout the day as a meal replacement.

I went to the GNC store and they had recommended drinking it immediately before or after a work out. Why is it not a good idea to drink during?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Just curious what peoples views are on drinking whey protein powder during a workout? Is it really worth it? The label says not to use for weight reduction, and I'm wanting to both lose weight and build muscle. Any input?

You're not supposed to use the generic stuff as a meal replacement because it's too low in calorie, doesn't have any fiber, and is not fortified with nutrients the way actual "diet shakes" do. That's what the warning is about.

The whey protein in addition to a balanced diet will help you build muscle which helps you burn more calories per day and can therefore help you lose weight.

Some take it as a pre-workout snack if they're working out before breakfast. Others drink it after a workout because that's when the muscles can absorb the most from it.

As for during .. not sure why but I know we're not supposed to, haha!
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a whey protein user. I do exactly the same as you, I have a shake, with the milk immediately after my workout, and then i have one before bed. I use the Gold Standard 100% whey and it is awesome mixed with milk, there are tones of flavours you can buy, I bought the double chocolate one and its great because i am addicted to chocolate and it helps with my cravings. Also, if you find a type of whey protein like the gold standard, it has glutamine in it, which helps to repair and heal your muscles after an intense weight training, so it helps with that pain you get the next morning, and I find you aren't as sore. Overall, basically make sure you take it after you work out, not before, and if it is not too close to bedtime already when you did take it initially, (example if you took it at lunch time or before supper) be sure to have another shake later in the evening right before bed! good luck!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    unless you're talking about a marathon-type event, you shouldn't be consuming more than water because when your body has food to digest (whey protein gives you plenty to digest) your body will direct blood flow to your stomach to assist in oxygenating the tissues and transporting the nutrients out into the body. You don't want to take blood flow away from the working body parts during a workout because that's why you're there! It can also make a difference in how your body processes any lactic acid that may be accumulating since there isn't the same kind of blood flow to transport it away... So have the shake within 30 to 60 minutes of a workout to give your body the protein it will be looking for to heal the muscles you've just worked! :wink:

ps: I'm a personal trainer, just so you know I'm not pulling it out of the air :tongue:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    unless you're talking about a marathon-type event, you shouldn't be consuming more than water because when your body has food to digest (whey protein gives you plenty to digest) your body will direct blood flow to your stomach to assist in oxygenating the tissues and transporting the nutrients out into the body ...

I knew it was a really good reason :laugh:. Thanks for explaining it :smile:.