Hypothyroid sucks

Options
Hi there, any success stories of weight loss battling a hypothyroid?? I was always really small, sometimes unhealthily skinny. Then one day BAM, I started gaining and gaining and gaining. I know my eating habits weren't the best and activity level not as good as it should have been but the weight came on so fast and then I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I am on medication for it but I just wonder if it's possible to lose a lot of weight (80 pounds) or more while battling this thyroid thing. I find that I restrict my calories and exercise and still the weight just doesn't seem to want to come off very easy. I am just wondering if anyone else is struggling against this and has been successful in any way??

Replies

• kellie1677
    Options
    Sounds like me. I tried Alli and started doing pilates and I have lost 12 pounds before I found this site, Since Alli is not aval right now due to some shortage, I am thinking of doing phase 1 of Atkins or South Beach.
  • shellsy0424
    shellsy0424 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    what is Alli?
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism also. So far I have lost 55 pounds!

Are you taking any medication and having your blood monitored for thyroid levels?
  • shellsy0424
    Options
    yes I am taking synthroid. I am so glad to hear that someone did it with a hypothyroid!! What did you find worked the best for you?
  • kbowen777
    Options
    Hi, a couple friends of mine told me about this so I'm trying it tomorrow..if I can find my scale. lol..Yes, I'm hypothyroid too and in the past just drinking lots of water and eating more veggies. However, loosing weight is sooo hard. I know it has to be a lifestyle change and breaking the good habit only leads to weight added back on...that's my experience. So a disciplined life is the key, but it's sooo hard when you have kids and a husband who want to eat everything on the menu! lol...hard being a mom and wife and wanting to diet. I wish there was an easier way. My mood swings are horrible to and I think that is due to this wonderful thyroid. I've read Jillian MIchael's book and it worked for awhile..but buying mostly organic and such was soo costly..I couldn't keep doing it unfortunatley. She has hypothyroidism. I encourage you to try her book and buy her food lists. It is awesome! But like I said a lifestyle change forever is the key to keeping the weight off and loosing. That is soo hard! Best wishes and God bless. Plus prayer helps! Jesus loves you and all of us and wants us to be happy. :)
  • kbowen777
    Options
    Also, loosing 55 pounds is such a reward! What did you do????
  • shellsy0424
    Options
    Hi, a couple friends of mine told me about this so I'm trying it tomorrow..if I can find my scale. lol..Yes, I'm hypothyroid too and in the past just drinking lots of water and eating more veggies. However, loosing weight is sooo hard. I know it has to be a lifestyle change and breaking the good habit only leads to weight added back on...that's my experience. So a disciplined life is the key, but it's sooo hard when you have kids and a husband who want to eat everything on the menu! lol...hard being a mom and wife and wanting to diet. I wish there was an easier way. My mood swings are horrible to and I think that is due to this wonderful thyroid. I've read Jillian MIchael's book and it worked for awhile..but buying mostly organic and such was soo costly..I couldn't keep doing it unfortunatley. She has hypothyroidism. I encourage you to try her book and buy her food lists. It is awesome! But like I said a lifestyle change forever is the key to keeping the weight off and loosing. That is soo hard! Best wishes and God bless. Plus prayer helps! Jesus loves you and all of us and wants us to be happy. :)
    Thank you for this. God bless you as well. Which Jillian Michael's book is it?? I was just wondering because She probably has more than one. Thank you for the advice, I didn't know she was hypothyroid. Very inspiring:)
  • binky78
    binky78 Posts: 60
    Options
    I also have Hypothyroidism along with Type 1 Diabetes and it does seem harder to lose weight but all we can do is keep at it and hope the pounds come off. Best of luck to you!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too and I've accepted that it'll be more challenging for me to lose weight compared to others who don't have thyroid issues.

I have my TSH levels tested every 6 months and my doctor adjusts my meds according to those results. Last year I lost 35 pounds and had to have my dosage lowered. Then gained 20 lbs back and had to have it adjusted again.

Just keep in close contact with your doctor and while losing weight have your levels tested at least every 6 months so your dosage can be adjusted if necessary. That will help you stay on track!
  • shellsy0424
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too and I've accepted that it'll be more challenging for me to lose weight compared to others who don't have thyroid issues.

I have my TSH levels tested every 6 months and my doctor adjusts my meds according to those results. Last year I lost 35 pounds and had to have my dosage lowered. Then gained 20 lbs back and had to have it adjusted again.

Just keep in close contact with your doctor and while losing weight have your levels tested at least every 6 months so your dosage can be adjusted if necessary. That will help you stay on track!

Thank you. Does weight loss affect your levels??
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you search the groups link above, you'll find a couple of different groups for folks with thyroid issues - please join us!!

I've lost 40 lbs. It took me a full year to lose the first 35, but I was content at going slow because at least the scale was moving in a good direction. Weight loss has not affected my levels, personally. I've been on meds for probably 10 years, give or take, and my levels have been pretty steady for the past 5 or so, although I have recently developed a goiter. I didn't do anything special. I log my food every day, and I try to be very accurate/honest as to the quantity of food I consume, as my biggest roadblock is portion size. I've basically eaten everything I've wanted - including things like candy apples and half and half in my coffee. Basically, I make every bite a decision - do I really want this? If I really do, I have it. But, I made the decision at the start that I don't want to eat unhealthy things if that means I won't have the calories for healthy stuff later on. I won't skip dinner to have a candy bar because I don't want to. A lot of this is mindset. You have to decide you're going to do it and decide that you WILL work your way through plateaus and not just give up. As Yoda says, "do or do not, there is no try". The most important thing is to lean on the other folks on MFP. Read as much as possible on the community pages, ask questions, and let people know when you need a little encouragement. IF you post to the community and don't hear back right away, bump your message - it might have been overtaken by another post before anyone with something relevant to say saw it. We're all in this together!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism due to having my thyroid removed. I'm not sure if it's that my levels are balanced or that I've added cytomel to my daily regime, but so far I've lost about 25lbs in 2 months. It's a wait and see as for how much more I will lose and how long I can keep it off.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm also Hypothyroid,i've been on here 2 weeks and have lost about 14 lbs.,I gained 86lbs after being diagnoised,not med. i over ate and just never tried to be healthy.I tried 1 diet and it was Alli pills.I lost 30 lbs.but, when i stopped taking it i gained 60.So here i am and I am going to do this!I see my Dr. every 3 months and i hope she's amazed when May rolls around.I have a ton of health problems including 2 recent brain surgeries but, i 'm tired of making excuses for my VERY BAD eating habits.
    Linda:smile:
  • Waitingforsun
    Options
    Same here. I have been on medication for many years, but the weight is still climing. I am not even eating much. The worst for me is that I don't have energy to do anything. I started this round of weight lost 2 weeks ago, I really have to force myself to go out take a walk. So far I am doing ok. Hope I will continue.
  • shellsy0424
    Options
    thank you. congrats on the weight loss, hope I get there. I just joined the group so I will get to reading!!
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds. It's taken a little while (85 days) but at least I'm losing. I have a great endocrinologist and he is very responsive to my numbers and my symptoms. My numbers were in range but highish/close to abnormal but my symptoms (hair loss, fatigue, dry skin and nails, sluggish body) were bad and he upped my dose a little. I feel so much better! Good luck to you!
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not to be Debbie Downer.... but please read your Synthroid labels prior to taking Alli! Orlistat inhibits absorbtion of T4.
    I actually think it may have caused my thryoid problems. pituitary asking for more tsh and constantly bombarding my thyroid for more, can cause nodules, and two surgeries later... not sure if you'd want to go down that road. I took Alli for 3 years prior to finding out I had nodules on my thryoid which were the size of water baloons.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Thank you. Does weight loss affect your levels??

Yes, it did! After I lost most of the 35 lbs, my TSH level was .02!!!! My dr immediately increased my dosage because I was obviously on too much synthroid. Right now I'm on 100mcg synthroid but at that point when I lost the weight I was taking 125 mcg's.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in April 2011 to remove 1/2 of my thyroid and a benign tumor the size of a golf ball. I had lost 22 pounds prior to the surgery. I gained back 12 pounds while trying to get my meds regulated. I have lost 21 pounds since December 5th. I go to Curves 5 days a week, hula hoop 7 days a week and try to keep my net calories above 1200. I eat back at least some of my exercise calories. I eat what I like but in smaller portions. I take Synthroid 75mcg and my TSH is currently 2.84. I couldn't lose until it was under 3.0. My doctor recommends that I drink a gallon of ice water a day (which is hard but I try, I usually at least get half of it in). It is harder to lose the weight but it can happen you just have to figure out what will work for you. It helps to have a good doctor who is understanding and helpful in dealing with weight issues. My doctor is hypothyroid and lost over 100 pounds so he understands.

Feel free to add me if you need friends for support.