Any advice for a C25K Newbie?

Options
I am starting the C25K for probably about the fifth time... but it's going to be the first time I see it through! So...Anyways, my question is that since I've only done day 1 and day 2 of week 1, I notice that my ankles are sore. Not extremely, but a little. Is this to be expected? I feel like I could do more than what they want but at the same time I'm thinking it's important to stick to the plan. I am a bit overweight and have never in my life been a runner. I have new balance shoes that feel like they fit well. Also, I would like to know what kind of warm up or stretching I should be doing to avoid any injuries. Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to feel free to repeat weeks if you need to. Don't feel bad if you can't do it in 8 weeks straight. Give yourself 8, 20, 12 weeks if needed. It's okay.
  • t4bz
    t4bz Posts: 4
    Options
    If you need to build up slower, do so. Take longer walk breaks, make Week 1 two weeks, whatever is more comfortable without being too comfortable (you have to push yourself...but it is a delicate balance).

Shoes are a tough thing...the best thing to do is to visit a local running store and have them help you and fit you. A good one will allow you to walk/run in them a bit.
  • cbascomb83
    cbascomb83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm just started c25k as well. I decided to modify it to fit me better. For example, stretching week one into two weeks. I am no runner so I decided to take it very slow. Good luck!
  • MissEmilie2011
    MissEmilie2011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is W6D3 for me on the C25K plan. The 1st couple of weeks where tough for me. I did all the workouts on time, but they were rough. I had to really pay attention to my running form to keep my ankles and shins from hurting. Be sure to run heel to toe not so much on the ball of your foot. I'm up to running 2 miles now which I've never been able to do before. One thing that I've realized over the past few weeks is that the first few minutes of any run are the hardest. I always feel like I can't do it, but once I get passed the first 5 min it gets easier (that feels weird for me to say because it took so long for me to even be able to run for 5 minutes). I think it is more of a mental barrier than anything else. Now I prefer to run straight through rather than doing the run walk thing, but I'm still following the plan when it calls for it.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm on week one. I downloaded a free podcast from I tunes that gives you the cues when to run. I feel really bad about this since the guy on the podcast did this out of the goodness of his heart but I have been cursing him out regularly and profanely whenever he tells me it's time to run.
  • Annadrews
    Annadrews Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the treadmill version, is it only 3 days a week??? I've been trying to teach myself to run for awhile but I'm not getting past about 30 seconds of actual running.

Do ya just print out the schedule because I'm not finding where you have to buy anything??

Do they have an "ifit" version???
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Week 1 i had to repeat . But week 2 day 1 was hard today. But i will repeat it again. Im thinking I might repeat each week. But my plain is to make it this time around.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program a few days ago, but for the first few weeks I didn't think I'd be able to stick with it due to ankle pain and shin splints. I had a nice pair of comfortable shoes that I thought were good for me to run in. But I went to an actual running shop and had them fit me for running shoes (using a video analysis of me running on a treadmill) and within a few days of getting running shoes my pain had essentially disappeared!

Some runners can benefit from specialized shoes offering more support or even motion control. If you have a local running store, it's probably worth visit. Your mileage may vary, of course :)

And yes, go slowly so your body has time to adjust!
  • Annadrews
    Annadrews Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the treadmill version, is it only 3 days a week??? I've been trying to teach myself to run for awhile but I'm not getting past about 30 seconds of actual running.

Do ya just print out the schedule because I'm not finding where you have to buy anything??

Do they have an "ifit" version???

Nevermind, I just answered all my questions:) I guess the $19.95 is just to keep track online. I don't need to do all that. I'm going to print out the treadmill version.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Shoes from a proper running store work miracles, and they even help you lose weight in your pocket book.

I went from indoor track/treadmill running to outdoor running and it took a few weeks for my ankles to adjust. Just take it slow, and if your body says stop/slow down...stop or slow down. Trust me, slow steady progress is better than injury and having to start over again.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Just take your time. Don't beat yourself up if you don't meant a certain deadline. You can just go at your own pace. :) I just started it tonight and set it to week 3 day 1, however; before this I've been alternating between running and walking for about a month. So sometimes it just takes time in order to prevent injury and there is nothing wrong with that!
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just finished W5D2 today - next up is running for 20 minutes straight - OMG!

I can't believe how easy this program makes it. I've never really been active, let alone a runner, but this program motivates you to get in and do it!

As the others have said - just take your time. Its a program to get you running 5K - its not a race. Have your shoes properly fitted and take it one day at a time. Repeat if you need to - nobodys watching and nobodys keeping score!

Enjoy!!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I have tried it before and got to week 3 and had to stop. This time im going to repeat each week twice. Just to make sure im ready to move on. Im also starting the dvd ripped in 30 tonight. Hoping this will help me build strength. It may help with my running.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 and I will be repeating it. I had enough trouble finishing the 3 minute runs that I know if I try to do 3 and 5 with shorter rests I'll fail. I plan to repeat each week from here on out. I do feel great though. :)
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Week 1 i had to repeat . But week 2 day 1 was hard today. But i will repeat it again. Im thinking I might repeat each week. But my plain is to make it this time around.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Tonight im running week 1 day 3. That will be fine. But its week 3I, that I really have troubles with. Thats when I stopped last year. . So im really getting scared. ....
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Last night I did week 2 day 3. I finished it with no problem. And also i did it outside. But week 3. Thats going to be hard. I will be repeating . Running for 3 minutes .. scary. But i just keep telling myself that I can do it! !!! Anyone else having troubles with week 3 .....
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, if you feel like you can advance go right ahead if you think you can't then repeat. Also be aware of what else you are doing, I would stay away from intense lower body workouts on top of doing the c25k and then running the next day it may be far too much for you. Just keep at it, even on days when you really don't want to it will pay off. I just finished mine a week ago or so and never thought I'd be able to run for 10 minutes, now I'm running for 30. I will be running my first 5k on April 21 so just keep going you will get there.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I'll be completing W4D3 this evening. I love the program and push myself to do more than what is asked. So far, it hasn't been a problem...HOWEVER, I am scared to death of Week 6.

Like, I almost vomit just thinking about it...but, damn it, I AM BIGGER THAN THIS THING AND I CAN DO IT!

And so can YOU!