Today's my first day on MFP--can someone check out my food d

Options
Woops didn't realize the subject would cut off...

I was wondering if someone could glance at today's diary and help me out.

I feel like I've eaten more or less "perfectly" today, minus perhaps my iced mocha this morning and pretzels after I worked out.

On the mocha: This is my "thing"--it gets me out of bed in the morning. It's my one remaining measly treat. It's 160 calories which I thought wasn't so so bad.

On the pretzels: I was ravenous after I power walked for 45 minutes after lunch today, so I ate a banana. I was still hungry 30 minutes later, so drank seltzer. Then, still starving with 3 hours until dinner, I ate the pretzels which helped immensely.

I was hoping after the walk I'd have earned some frozen yogurt tonight, but that clocks in at way more than the 33 calories I have left!

Anyone have any wisdom for me? I thought I balanced my eating and exercise nicely today but it seems I barely squeaked by.

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private and you might want to let us in on your BMR/TDEE or your goal calorie based on your macro nutrients.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the banana - calorific and not filling - for some sort of protein, a shake or bar if you want convenience. Can't see your food diary but you've obviously made a huge effort and done really well, good on you
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I've fixed it now! Sorry, what are those acronyms?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just checked your diary - I'd up my protein intake if were you, makes you much less hungry especially if exercising
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual (for example if you just chilled on the couch all day).

TDEE, is the total number of calories that your body expends in 24 hours, including all activities.

You can look both of them up on google and calculate them based on your height/weight/activity level/gender.

For fat loss, most people are recommended to eat 15-20% under their TDEE and keep macros around 30% fat/30% protein.
  • daycathy
    daycathy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Defiantly increase protein decrease carbs.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    Ahhh! Overwhelming! I copied and pasted this info for future use though....thanks! Maybe once I master the basic calories in/out riddle I can tackle this.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    Defiantly increase protein decrease carbs.

Even though it says I'm way over for protein?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If your not set on the Arnold bread there is other options to save yourself some calories... I use Healthy Life high fiber/5net carb bread, it is 2 slices is only 70 calories....

I have a Keurig coffee maker and indulge every morning in a travel mug of Coffee People Donut shop blend with 2 Tbps. of International Hershey Chocolate/Caramel (70 calories for 2 Tbps.). So I don't see a problem with your mocha, we all have to have atleast one vise to keep us honest right??
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I would suggest checking your sugar and sodium as these are the ones I went over heaps on when I first started without realising. Good luck on your journey!
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    If your not set on the Arnold bread there is other options to save yourself some calories... I use Healthy Life high fiber/5net carb bread, it is 2 slices is only 70 calories....

I have a Keurig coffee maker and indulge every morning in a travel mug of Coffee People Donut shop blend with 2 Tbps. of International Hershey Chocolate/Caramel (70 calories for 2 Tbps.). So I don't see a problem with your mocha, we all have to have atleast one vise to keep us honest right??

Ha, good attitude! I will DEFINITELY look into alternate breads! Sheesh! Learning already.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    Hold up, it says I earned 240 calories from exercising...should I add that figure to my daily allowance? Am I to eat that amount or not? Sorry, I'm sure I'm creating an echo chamber, but I ran a search for this topic and became very confused. Yay or nay?
  • acsmith614
    Options
    Those calories burned are automatically added to your allowance for the day. What you've been eating seems to be well rounded and pretty healthy-i dont know what times you at each meal at, but the best way to keep your metabolism going(and optimal fat burn) is to eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Also, a general rule for protein is (at least) 1g protein per lb of body weight. This site usually has protein set too low. Also, the best way to lose weight is with high(er) fat and low carb, or high(er) carb and low fat. However, a midground between the two isn't going to change things too too much so you should be fine.
  • cbascomb83
    cbascomb83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The replies are great and very informative for me. Glad this question was asked. :)
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    Those calories burned are automatically added to your allowance for the day. What you've been eating seems to be well rounded and pretty healthy-i dont know what times you at each meal at, but the best way to keep your metabolism going(and optimal fat burn) is to eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Also, a general rule for protein is (at least) 1g protein per lb of body weight. This site usually has protein set too low. Also, the best way to lose weight is with high(er) fat and low carb, or high(er) carb and low fat. However, a midground between the two isn't going to change things too too much so you should be fine.

Thanks so much for clarifying all of that for me!!
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    I replaced my mocha with coffee/evaporated milk/chocolate stevia (no calories all natural sweetener.) It gives me the same chocolate experience with only about 20-40 calories depending on how much milk you use.
  • Graysha1
    Graysha1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would stay away from the pretzel's and those type of snacks and ensure that you are adding more protien. Try some apple and cheese or peanut butter, Protien is harder t breeak down and it is speeds up your metabolism and helps you stay full longer. Good luck
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Another bread choice is Dave's Killer Bread Light 21 Grain (I hope I got that all right) at 65 calories per slice, no soy for those of us who care and all whole grains.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty good to me.

I'm not sure why everyone is telling you to eat more protein, as you've had 118 grams so far today and that's rather good.

You may want to consider lowering carbs and upping fat a little bit, but it really comes down to personal preference.

I second what everyone else has said about the bread.

All in all, excellent first day!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you need to add protien I would suggest Lifeways Kefir. Great protien source and full of probiotics which is awesome for the gut!