Can you work out at night, and then workout the next morning

Options
I read somewhere that you cant work out at night time and then work out the next morning, something about your muscles. Is that true?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't. From what I know (and I may be wrong) if you are working on lifting that you shouldn't work out the same muscles everyday.... however that could be wrong. I don't workout the same muscles two days in a row with weights.

I don't understand why you can't do cardio at night and than in the morning. I know many people who do a quick bit in the morning and than another quick bit before bed and it's worked really well for them.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I occasionally workout late afternoon/early evening and then workout again at 9 or 10 am. There's no problem with that. There are people that workout twice a day without even sleeping in between, I don't see how doing it at night and again in the morning would be an different than that!
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do two a days regularly. After work and super early, as long as you don't work the same major muscle groups. I usually do strength in the AM and cardio at night.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights, you need to give that body part a rest the next day. The muscle needs 48 hours after lifting to recover. This is why most experienced weight lifters alternate body parts in their workout plans so that they can workout daily without over training one muscle group. Cardio and stretching, however, you can do daily with no problems.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I jogged at 7pm last night then lifted and did Prowler sprints the next morning. So yeah, I'll do what I need to. It all depends on your level of fitness, the routine you do, and if you feel up to it.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    It should not be a problem as long as you're working different muscle groups if you're lifting weights. If its cardio then that should e totally fine!,
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would think that would be true with weight training. From what I know you are supposed to have 2 rest days in between each muscle group. But I don't think it matters with cardio
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights, you need to give that body part a rest the next day. The muscle needs 48 hours after lifting to recover. This is why most experienced weight lifters alternate body parts in their workout plans so that they can workout daily without over training one muscle group. Cardio and stretching, however, you can do daily with no problems.

Yup- I agree! I work out twice a day but always rotate muscle groups for adequate recovery when I lift.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The problem occurs when you do weight training...you want to allow your muscles to rest and recover for 48 hours before you train those muscles again. (In other words, don't do bicep training on Monday and Tuesday, do Monday and Wednesday or Monday and Thursday instead). You should be fine doing cardio at night and again in the morning.
    9315975.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so. I run anywhere from 3 to 6 miles every morning and then I go to the gym after work for some bike miles, billy goat walking, and weights!