What is "Backapcking, general"?

Options
So what does backpacking entail? I walk 3-3.5 mph with a 20 lb baby either on my chest or back. I am worn the heck out after a 45 minute walk. I was looking through the database and was wondering if this could count as backpacking instead of walking with a 15 lb baby. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Also, I know people like to look at food diaries so if you look at mine, ignore the last few days. The desert I'm eating so much of is just too awesome and needs to get out of the house now.

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not...but you'd probably get more accurate results with the walking with a 15 lb baby setting. The backpacking option doesn't seem to specify weight...it may assume 50 lbs and it may assume 5 lbs.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    Different Calories Burned Amounts for 60 min
    walking & carrying 15 lb infant= 186
    walking 3.5 mph= 202
    walking 3.5 with baby's weight added to mine= 237
    backpacking general= 373

The differences are rather great. Does anyone know how much weight the backpacking accounts for in the pack?
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    When I backpack my pack usually weighs at least 40 pounds. I would use the average of walking 3.5 and backpacking.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Different Calories Burned Amounts for 60 min
    walking & carrying 15 lb infant= 186
    walking 3.5 mph= 202
    walking 3.5 with baby's weight added to mine= 237
    backpacking general= 373

The differences are rather great. Does anyone know how much weight the backpacking accounts for in the pack?

It's all just approximations anyway. >.< I'd bet that option 3 is your best bet; option 1 may be assuming a slow walk.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
  • lhabedank
    lhabedank Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i would think backpacking would also account for more difficult terrain such as hills and climbing over trees and such.
  • Sytera
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I will use #3 for now. We sometimes do hike and that is rougher terrain. Maybe then I will average 2 & 3.
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also baby wear my 18pound baby while on a walk. So I'm thinking of using the hiking option than the walking carrying a 15pound baby. I also push a 35pounder in a stroller at the sametime at 4.0mph.
  • Sytera
    Options
    I also baby wear my 18pound baby while on a walk. So I'm thinking of using the hiking option than the walking carrying a 15pound baby. I also push a 35pounder in a stroller at the sametime at 4.0mph.

I do that sometimes, too, and it is quite the workout. I just created my own exercises by adding the baby's weight to my weight in the database. Then I searched the different exercises and did some averaging to create my own.